Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrad View Post
    Well upon further inspection, My inner driver's side CV boot is ripped and spewed grease all over the top of the control arm. So that is a fail and must be replaced. I didn't see this the first time as I was only inspecting the outer CV boots. Duh. After some more research and since the other CV boots seem passable for now, I decided just to simply replace both the left and right front axles that way it's done and I don't have to worry about it probably for another 100k mile. I think I would rather just replace the whole axle then simply the boots because the amount of work appears to be the same. I got both axles from FCP Groton along with two diff output seals for about $250, which is a total win I think. I'm a tad bit intimidated with this DIY to be honest as I have yet to see any actual vids of how the shaft goes into the diff. How do you know when it's in and seated? Does it click in or do you have to use a hammer and whack it in? Idk I'll keep searching.
    Do you have a Bentley manual? They don't really say what to use to re-install, just says.......

"When pressing drive axle into front axle differential or bearing pedestal, be sure to press axle beyond resistance of spring clip. Spring clip must snap audibly into place."

About removal they just say......

"use BMW special tool 31 1 170 or equivalent pry bar, pry inboard cv joint out of front diff or bearing pedestal."

Do you have a Bentley manual?
    Yes I have one, haven't really flipped through it yet on the drive train section, I usually just run to the web. I need to see pictures and video of somebody actually doing it to feel comfortable. I found a few videos out there that are pretty good. I will just have to give a try right? Time for me to take the swimmies off and jump in the deep end of the pool.

2002 330XI Saloon
    2005 ZHP
    2013 XC90 R-Design

Yes I have one, haven't really flipped through it yet on the drive train section, I usually just run to the web. I need to see pictures and video of somebody actually doing it to feel comfortable. I found a few videos out there that are pretty good. I will just have to give a try right? Time for me to take the swimmies off and jump in the deep end of the pool.
    I know exactly what you're saying. Much rather see a video or good diy. Bentley is kind of the last resort since they don't get real detailed on a lot of things.

Just go for it, figure it out as you go.

^Exactly! Thanks for you insight MrMaico.

2002 330XI Saloon
    2005 ZHP
    2013 XC90 R-Design

Well I canceled the order for the axles from FCP Groton. Found out their axles are prone to fail with a year or two. So thanks but no thanks. Instead I ordered just the inner and outer boots with diff seal just for the axle that has a ripped boot. I'll try this approach first, and since I don't have any clicking or vibration's going on maybe it's not to late to save the driver's side axle. Strange that I'm fretting over this as the car drives flawlessly.

2002 330XI Saloon
    2005 ZHP
    2013 XC90 R-Design

Well I canceled the order for the axles from FCP Groton. Found out their axles are prone to fail with a year or two. So thanks but no thanks. Instead I ordered just the inner and outer boots with diff seal just for the axle that has a ripped boot. I'll try this approach first, and since I don't have any clicking or vibration's going on maybe it's not to late to save the driver's side axle. Strange that I'm fretting over this as the car drives flawlessly.
    Good call. I thought I had read that somewhere before but didn't know if I should say anything since I wasn't sure.

You sound like me. I replaced front control arms/bushings along with front struts and rear shocks when probably all I needed was FCABs. Should be good for another 100,000 though now.

Good call. I thought I had read that somewhere before but didn't know if I should say anything since I wasn't sure.
    Thanks, yea I also read that the supplier they get their axles from are made in a certain communist country, and I would rather buy US or German parts for my ride if at all possible. I get a little over zealous and start ordering all kinds of parts to fix an issue. Sounds like you do the same also ha ha. I figure it's not like food, they don't spoil right?

2002 330XI Saloon
    2005 ZHP
    2013 XC90 R-Design

Wow, just getting through this thread. Great pic up! I <3 Alpinweiss. And, that's a pretty neat body pinstripe, ///M colors?

Anyways, looks like you getting the maintenance handled. Should be a great dd for ya!

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Wow, just getting through this thread. Great pic up! I <3 Alpinweiss. And, that's a pretty neat body pinstripe, ///M colors?

Anyways, looks like you getting the maintenance handled. Should be a great dd for ya!
    Thanks Ryans323i. So far so good, it drives like silk and handles the twisties remarkably well for stock suspension with no sport package. You like the pinstripe? I'm not a pinstripe guy but I like it also. From what I can tell I think it's painted on, so I'm keeping it.

Just replaced the AC belt tonight cause that's the only part that came. Still waiting on a big box from ECS full of maintenance parts. Typical stuff so once I get those items taken care of I figure I should be able to go 200K + no problem. I actually like getting up for work and driving there. he he wish I had a longer commute.

2002 330XI Saloon
    2005 ZHP
    2013 XC90 R-Design

Autozone.com
    Painted on pinstripe =

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast