Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Better to do one HPDE at Laguna Seca or 2 HPDEs at closer tracks?

I just saw the CCA Golden Gate chapter is doing a 2-day HPDE Feb 10-11 (Fri/Sat) at Laguna Seca. Even though it's not peak season, it's $600 for 2 days (with instruction and lunches).

I've never driven Laguna and would like to, but for that price I could do four track days (without instruction, bring my own lunch) at local tracks, say 2 days at Buttonwillow for $320 plus 2 days at Streets of Willow for $260. Or instead of 2 days at SoW I could do one day at AutoClub Speedway and one day of AutoX practice. The local tracks are not as scenic nor as famous, but I can get there more easily and the nearby hotels are cheap. If I do AutoClub Speedway, I don't even need to get a hotel.

What do y'all think--2 days on scenic track vs. 4 days on local tracks? Instruction on new track or practice on my own on familiar tracks? Super8 and Motel 6 vs. Monterey Hyatt? Or save the money for the Mafia reunion at Dane's house?

I'd definitely do the four track days and talk to experienced guys on the track to get good advice.

I do lots of track days on the bike, and have done numerous "school + track time" combos, and find that the schools are all but useless. Might be different in the auto world, but I have my doubts. The most useful schooling/advice I've received was from other guys on the track - not instructors.

Either way, you're still quite well off!

The closest track to me (Pacific Raceways) is 3.5 hours drive away. Portland International is about 6 hours. ORP (personal favourite) is 8 hours away. Thunderhill and Northern Cali is 16 hours - done that, too. Enjoy your short travel distances!

I would do Laguna...Hell I'd just like to experience the Corkscrew one time. I would just need a slow speed lap LOL

My advice isn't worth much as I don't have a car that's able to be tracked at the moment hehe.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

spencers Guest
    How much HDPE experience do you already have?

If I faced that decision I'd want to hit Laguna Seca after I've gained a fair amount of seat time/experience. I think it'd make the trip more worthwhile.

With little to no experience, go with the local tracks. Laguna Seca will always be there...

I think you have enough experience. Drive to NorCal and run Mazda Raceway. Just be careful in the 2-4 section as lots of noobs eat it there

Willow and Autoclub are nothing compared to Laguna

I must have gotten lucky cause I found the instructor days the most valuable. Especially when I was doing on a bike. They found some little technique differences that made big differences.

Jon D. Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner
    Jon D -- 04 330cic Imola Red ZHP Vert -- Active Autowerke Exhaust, Software remap & Strut Bar, K&N filter, custom stereo[Alpine head unit (CDA105) w/Sirius Radio, Iphone integration & Alpine amp (PDX-5), Hertz speakers (165.3 F, 130.3R), JL Sub(CS110RG -W 1v2)], Color match grills, tint all around for when the tops up, custom painted 135s

Other Cars
    2014 Audi SQ5 2015 GMC Canyon All Terrain

Jon D. and Kerunt: How do they instruct you on a bike? Does the instructor sit behind you? In the car HPDEs the instructor sits next to you, except for race/karting schools in single-seaters--then I guess they give you a helmet radio or follow you on track then give classroom feedback.

Spencers: I have done 14 track days, 9 with instruction, 5 solo. Have done at least 2 days at each So. Cal track except for Chuckwalla (0 days) and WSIR (1 day). I am decent at driving the school line, but not good at driving close to the traction limit.

There will be other track days at Laguna Seca later this year, like TrackMasters Racing (Mar 30, Apr 8, Jun 16, Jun 26) or Speed Ventures (June 29-July 1). They will probably cost about the same ($300/day) without instruction but will have a lower chance of rain. I do like having an instructor the first time I run an unfamiliar track. The other thing is I hope to upgrade my springs later this year so that could be an argument for waiting--to drive LS with both more experience and a better suspension.

Do you have a set of track wheel/tires? I would look into some lightweight wheels and Ventus R-S3's for track days to maximize grip and lower unsprung weight

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    Spencers: I have done 14 track days, 9 with instruction, 5 solo. Have done at least 2 days at each So. Cal track except for Chuckwalla (0 days) and WSIR (1 day). I am decent at driving the school line, but not good at driving close to the traction limit.
    Ah! That's a fair amount of seat time. Go hit the corkscrew.

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    Since you've done a fair amount of track days, I would hit Laguna Seca.
    I would want to master a track (hitting all the right apexes, braking/acceleration points, turn-in and track-out points) before heading over to another track, though. I guess that could be personal preference. The way I'd like to do it is do maybe 5 -10 days at a certain track then move on to another one and keep alternating between all the new and old ones.

So, I guess the correct answer is: do them ALL!
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast