Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Issues from cold start until warm

Hey all, got a funky issue here.

2004 ZHP, auto, 46k miles. Just did the DISA valve 2 weekends ago. No check engine light, haven't scanned for codes.

First of all, this only seems to happen when both the engine AND the weather are both cold (Cold as in San Diego 40 at night chilly). I think I've narrowed the culprit down to either the pulleys or something attached to the pulleys, as there is definitely a sound (I'll try to get a video up this weekend) that gets consistently louder as the RPMs climb. The strange thing is, once the car is up to normal operating temp, the sound seems to disappear, or at least isn't audible with the hood closed.

This car isn't an E46, but this is the closest approximation of the sound I could find on youtube:

Also, I'm not 100% if this is related, but it seems to be, at a full stop, especially on inclines, there is a sporadic... tapping or knocking FEELING in the brake pedal. I see no visible change in the RPMs, but it sometimes has a shudder associated with it.

So, I know this is all pretty vague, but I wanted to let you guys get a chomp on this before I started ordering parts and hoping to fix something!

Have you done the VANOS seals and rattle kit? Maybe you can reach out to some of our locals to come over one night and see if you can replicate it while they're around. I would do it but I'm not exactly nearby right now

Negative on the VANOS, but this sound doesn't have the associated rattle I've been hearing from all the VANOS vids I've seen. I did have a rattle previously, but that was fixed by a DISA swap.

Easy way to see if it is pulley related, pull the belt and start the car for a few seconds and see if you still have the sound. But to me, it sounds like the tell tale sound of a dying P/S pump which is very common. Have you checked your fluid res lately? What condition is the fluid in?

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

I'll check the fluid when I leave work today, anything I should be looking for besides level?

At least the quality of the fluid... Maybe take a pic and post it? I would also stop at Autozone or O'Rielly on your way home and get any codes read. What part of town do you live in, there are some of us all around SD county

I live down in Mission Valley. I'll report back with a pic of the fluid, and will probably get to an autozone tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I live down in Mission Valley. I'll report back with a pic of the fluid, and will probably get to an autozone tomorrow.
    Prolly brown. Ewwwwww.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Bright pink, topped off.

Yup. Looks good.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Xparent Blue Tapatalk
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast