Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Steer clear of DICE.
    ------
    A Venza just isn't the same as a ZHP.

why is that?
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

I just put 2 12" subs and an amp in the trunk and RCA converter to the factory amp. It was a basic setup but it works, I have more bass, and less strain on the HK speakers.

Quote Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
    why is that?
    Electrical problems when the DICE was installed. For some it works without problems. Others experience many problems.

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...highlight=DICE

Plus the problems I had...
    ------

From what I've read, the sound quality with the Dynavin is worse than stock.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by 808ZHP View Post
    I just put 2 12" subs and an amp in the trunk and RCA converter to the factory amp. It was a basic setup but it works, I have more bass, and less strain on the HK speakers.
    do tell more. any specifics on the RCA converter?
    Call me Seth

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    not what I wanted to hear....
    Call me Seth

MISCONCEPTION: Paper is not crap. Paper is used as woofer and mid material on some of the most expensive speakers in the world, it is all about implementation. Hybrid Audio Technology uses exclusively paper cone speakers- and they are where I'd put my money.

A quick intro to speaker materials.

Aluminum drivers: Very high levels of detail and very fast. A little bit cold sound, not as much weight or "soul" as Paper, many would say. Fatiguing to the listener (there are exceptions, but not many). This is the type of system you turn on and say wow! And then after a couple of hours your ears hurt, loud volume or not.

Paper drivers: decent detail, reasonably fast, very sweet and natural midrange (voices, instruments etc.), very good bass impact, softer than aluminum without fatigue.

Kevlar/Carbon/Bamboo/Etc.- These are basically in between materials. Stiffer and lighter than paper, but shouldn't ring or fatigue like Aluminum. These type of speakers can sound quite good when properly engineered or like total shiiit if done wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Yes, I concur kayger. On that note who's for putting our first names in ours sigs? I like adressing people by their name much better. Okay back on topic :D

The pre outs seem especially suspect based on some ominous posts by people with sound processors (basically a microphone and a computer that corrects for bouncing sound waves in a car) that it did not even work, or sounded awful. At best it will be the same quality audio.

BSW is a good option.

-I actually started the trend that some of you may be familiar with a far as pulling out the H/K stuff and dropping in components, I recommended a bunch to people on E46fanatics. It sounds very good- but as with everything there is no free lunch.
    - With the drop in mid bass woofers they usually are not level matched to the rest of the speakers quite right (a little too loud or too quiet compared to the mids/tweeters) and they don't feature the design for the way the H/K midbass is mounted. If you want more midbass without cutting the doors, keep the H/K woofers (maybe get some new ones), or buy BSW. Keep that foam baffle. Resonance is caused without it, and that's the biggest reason you shouldn't mount other woofers to the door panel. Been there, done that.

-To get other brand aftermarket compnents with an amp, you should really mount the speakers to the door frame, and have some camping mat closed cell foam making a sort of gasket to the speaker grill. This prevents the sound waves from going crazy inside your door panel. This kind of setup will absolutely kick the Harmon Kardon setups ass, but it costs good money.

Putting a sub in the trunk is an interesting dilemma. For how big and heavy the boxes are (20-50lbs on average) they don't get enough louder than a good pair of 6x9s mounted to the stock locations as they should, and I've run both. This is because BMWs interiors are so well sealed that the bass cannot get in unless bolted to the rear deck- where the stock subs are. Bolting a speaker to the rear deck makes the deck the speaker's enclosure, therefore eliminating any problems you'd have with the subs being too quiet.
    -People knock out the ski pass, pull out the rear speakers to let more bass in for the 8", 10", 12" sub enclsures. it works, but it isn't free. Guess what you'll also hear with the radio off now? Tools rolling around in the trunk, the groceries, maybe that dead body you haven't stashed yet, etc. will all now be much more audible in the cabin.

I have personally realized I will never be happy with the H/K system because of the amp. it is very lifeless and dead, although it has the ability to play very accurately. I am getting another zhp soon, and will take pictures and make a DIY for the stereo that hopefully some can put to their benefit. Reconigze that the H/K system is actually not that bad (err, it wasn't new, speakers wear out just like shocks, they have suspensions). To beat it will cost a hurtful sum of pocket change. And trust me when I say you wanna do it right the first time, not the second or third.

As far as losing speakers with an aftermarket amplifier- that's should not be a main concern. As long as you buy a decent set of speakers like the Hybrid Audio Unity I6-2, the DLS RM6.2, or the JL C2/C5 sets you really should not lose any midrange presence by having the woofer take over.

PS: If you're installing an aftermarket amplifier to replace the H/K amplifier, search Technik Hi Fi Harness E46 into google. He sells kits that allow you to not cut any wiring, yet run an aftermarket amplifier. Nice! I'm purchasing one.

I am very much into audio and have ripped out all of the stereos in every car I've ever had- and guess what- the only cars I've ever owned have been BMWs so I do know a couple things about their stereos. Holy marathon post!
    - Derek

You can get one of these http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/65900410495/ES183682/ and get a single DIN headunit. ECS took the pictures of the part with it upside down.

The thing about the E46 design is the integration. On one hand, the integration is beautiful. On the other, it is extremely limiting. It's a lot like owning an apple product. Putting a decent ipod adapter without limiting functionality was a real pain in the ass.
    ------

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast