Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Why does mileage seem so important?

I've noticed a lot of guys making comments on low mileage cars in the for sale area, and the new member section etc. To me the m54 engine is good for many, many miles, why so much hang up on miles? As long as it is properly cared for and the rest of the car is taken care of well, whats a couple hundred thousand miles?

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

Meric Guest
    It not just the engine. Transmission,diff,plastic coolant system,ignition coils,plugs. etc.

Yeah, I agree its not the engine but other wear and tear the car has experienced. Beyond even what Meric said, there is paint quality, chance of body damage and poor quality repairs, ratty interior, etc to think of. I bought mine as a 1 owner lease return with just over 30,000 miles on it so it was basically brand new, but that was 3 years and 40,000 miles ago.

On the other hand I would still consider and even possibly buy a "high" mileage car if the situation was right

Quote Originally Posted by Smolck View Post
    I've noticed a lot of guys making comments on low mileage cars in the for sale area, and the new member section etc. To me the m54 engine is good for many, many miles, why so much hang up on miles? As long as it is properly cared for and the rest of the car is taken care of well, whats a couple hundred thousand miles?
    For me it was the fact that I planned on finding a ZHP and keeping it for 300K.

Many people do not maintain their cars other than the dealer recommended maintenance.

I didn't want a car that had been through 100K miles of 15K mile oil change intervals with all of the original fluids still in it.

If the car that I chose was going to get to 200 or 300K, I wanted to be the one who was putting the miles on it.

I didn't want anything over 50K, because I had the time and money to be that picky.

All that being said, if the situation were different, I also wouldn't think twice about jumping in an E46 with 150K on it given the maintenance was reasonably up to date.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Well, it is all of what was already said about the wear and tear on everything as a whole. But, for someone like me who drives 30-35k miles a year, you want the lowest possible mileage you can get your hands on, because those miles rack up fast. I'd rather have an extra 30k to play with by buying a car with 30k less, for example, to make the car "last longer" while I have it. That would give me an extra year.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Mileage is a factor for all the reasons listed above. Also something to think about is these cars are all 6+ years old. Averaging 15,000 miles per year puts an average 2006 in at 90,000 miles. Mileage is just another consideration in the confusing equation as to weather or not a particular car is for you.

Given the age of our cars, I think lower mileage tends to point to an easier life. But that's just my interpretation.

I also agree that if you intend on keeping your car for a long time, the more miles you put on, the better. You'll know how it's been cared for a majority of it's life.
    ------
    A Venza just isn't the same as a ZHP.

That "easy life" statement is a double edged sword, my friend. It could have had an easy life if it was garaged most of the time. But, on the other side of the coin, you've got the cars that lived their whole lives in the city, and the city is the hardest kind of daily driving anyone can do. You don't rack up a whole lot of miles in the city, but they sure are the hardest miles the car can get under regular usage.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

I guess my point was more, do you really care about mileage AFTER you buy the car?

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

I guess my point was more, do you really care about mileage AFTER you buy the car?
    Depends a lot on the person. Some people will garage queen their cars and avoid putting mileage on them like they're avoiding the plague. Others embrace as many miles as life dares to throw at 'em.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

For a driver, mileage put on AFTER buying the car is irrelevant. THey (me) buy the car for transportation and part of putting on miles is putting on smiles!
    ------
    A Venza just isn't the same as a ZHP.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast