Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    I don't see why it's being seen as such a sin to not take the cams out of his previous ZHP engine. PO probably didn't want to spend the extra cash to pay someone to take the old cams out, then swap them for the ones in the new engine. For some people, that wouldn't seem to make sense. You have to remember, not many people are capable of digging in to and DIY'ing things on their car. Most people prefer to just throw it at the dealer and say "fix it"

The reason why it's a sin:

The person who transplants an engine that's lesser than what they originally had is just plain cheap.

They make a perfectly desirable car all of a sudden undesirable. There is no sense in that.
    That's not to mention that they f@#$ed it all up in the process, and now see where the cheapness has gotten them; they're going to end up paying more just to fix this mess than as if they just fixed it right the first time. This is where the problem lies; even if the engine is a similar engine, such as an M54B30 but without cams, the ECU is programmed to work with an engine that has cams. I'm sure the ECU isn't the only thing that was designed to work a certain way. Even swapping the ECU won't work properly; there is probably a tamper dot present on the cluster, effectively making the car's value drop like a rock.

Bottom line is, you can't just swap in a lesser engine and expect it to work. This is where the cheapness comes into play.

Fix once.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

nike001 Guest
    Everyone is cheap though.

You'd be surprised at how many people buy 100k 7-series or M3's at work, and 12,000 miles later they're coming in to service and bitch and moan about having to buy tires that are $1200. People just don't like shelling out that extra dough after they just bought a car. I wouldn't even know what do to with myself if my engine blew.

Everyone is cheap though.

You'd be surprised at how many people buy 100k 7-series or M3's at work, and 12,000 miles later they're coming in to service and bitch and moan about having to buy tires that are $1200. People just don't like shelling out that extra dough after they just bought a car. I wouldn't even know what do to with myself if my engine blew.
    Yeah, but how many of those people would even think to replace it with a lesser engine?
    This is the first I've ever heard of someone putting a lesser engine into a BMW just to save a couple of bucks. It doesn't happen often.

I know that you at least wouldn't do that.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

nike001 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Yeah, but how many of those people would even think to replace it with a lesser engine?
    This is the first I've ever heard of someone putting a lesser engine into a BMW just to save a couple of bucks. It doesn't happen often.

I know that you at least wouldn't do that.
    Maybe that guy just needed it fixed proto. I'd think that ZHP engines are a bit hard to source. It could have been just some guy needing a new engine in his "very not special at all" car :P Maybe he's not a car guy and doesn't care?

Usually car guys try to upgrade their engine when their current one blows.

ZHP engines aren't hard to source, that I am sure about. I have done it both ways, my 323i was a 5 year experiment in "frugality" and I did a lot of things I wouldn't do again. And ended up having to pay more to re-do some stuff I tried that didn't work. My ZHP I am approaching the exact opposite. But the bottom line is if you are dumb enough to drive any car in the red (especially a BMW) you should at least put an engine in it that matches what came out.

The real "sin" is overheating a ZHP engine with 53k miles.

Check out my youtube channel for all kinds of E46 DIY's
    http://www.youtube.com/user/flipfinish?feature=mhee
    Check out my BMW Blog
    http://smolckbmw.blogspot.com/
    Follow me on twitter @smolck

This coupe seems to be a very good candidate for an S54 heart swap
    read my mind...

but yes thats no punishment at all.

Send me the ECU, I'll punish him.
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123