Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Awful Mileage

Clean maf sensor, and put stock filter back in. Lose the rack and test it out. I speak from experience. I think you will find your mpg appreciably improves.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I agree on the filter, I had issues with mine with that too soon after I installed it but didn't know it until I had to replace the maf. Haven't had an issue since I switched back to paper...
    I've never run a rack so i can't help there but it makes sense...

My first 50+ miles on this tank today. Avg speed 44 mph. Lose the rack and you will gain 3 mpg back...

Even if you keep the rack and lose the fairing, you will gain some back.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I would check your tire pressures if you haven't already. Your tires fluctuate a lot, and this winter has had some wacky weather. I would also check for vacuum leaks, clean the MAF, etc.

Thanks Dane, the racks are off now, I'll head to the local autoparts store and pick up another filter and try it again.

What size filter do I need?

My tires have nitrogen in them so I doubt they fluctuated with the temperature, I will double check though.
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

Your filter number depends on what brand you get. Just use the provided books at the autoparts store.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieZHP View Post
    Thanks Dane, the racks are off now, I'll head to the local autoparts store and pick up another filter and try it again.

What size filter do I need?

My tires have nitrogen in them so I doubt they fluctuated with the temperature, I will double check though.
    You're running stock air box....correct?

So just reading this thread and some others, here's my list of imaginary ways mileage could be worse in cold weather
    • Engine takes longer to warm up and runs rich when cold (from BP)
    • Colder air is denser so more air resistance
    • Denser air entering intake requires more gas and gives engine more power, tempting you to get on the gas more
    • Air in tires contracts, leaving tires slightly underinflated (from llll1l1ll)
    • Do cold tires have more rolling resistance from being less flexible, on top of the underinflation effect?
    • Gas stations blend 10% ethanol, which has less energy/gallon than gas
    • More night time driving means more headlight usage, requiring alternator to work harder (is that even true? If true, is it significant?)
    • Ski racks and skis/snowboards!

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Also, do you drive a lot on the highway when the engine is cold? My mileage is easily 10mpg less when I get on the highway in the morning going to work as opposed to me taking the same route with a warmed up engine. The engine runs rich when cold.

I'm feeling that my mileage has overall been worse since it got cold. During the summer I could easily get 31-32mpg on the highway but this winter the highest I've been able to hit average was 30.x mpg. This has been the case with my previous car as well, for some weird reason. Of course, the higher the speed, the more pronounced the effect.

Just for posterity's sake, throw that K&N in the trash can with gusto.

I've had two ZHPs and both had idle quality and throttle response issues. Both had K&N drop ins. Both drop ins were trashed for paper, both MAFs cleaned, both run night and day better.

Depending on where you fueled up you could be suffering from a winter blend as well. I know metro atlanta switches between summer and winter blends and mileage always takes a hit.

Other points I would've raised (rack, skis, weight in the car) have all been dead horsed. Amp draw from headlights would be within the noise.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast