Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

17x9 Square Setup Photo! Alignment Advice?

I just got a set of APEX Arc-8 17x9 with 245/40R17 squared and was wondering about alignment.

My ZHP is on the stock suspension which just hit 70,000 miles. I know it's getting close to replacing the suspension, but after doing a recent brake and cooling system overhaul, suspension will have to wait a bit. I want to get the new tires aligned this week before they start to wear unevenly.

My car is a daily driver, but I am seriously interested in starting to autox. Not on a competing level just for fun and to become a better driver. What do you guys recommend for alignment settings on a stock suspension to have the ideal balance of handling without crazy tire wear?

Any advice is appreciated and here's the pic of the new rims. (I love the style 135s, but they are just too damn heavy).

Name:  rimss.JPG
Views: 2723
Size:  417.0 KB

Dialing out the front as much as possible (in the -2.0 to -3.0 range) will help eliminate all understeer and transform the car into oversteer.

With that being said, you'll probably expect more wear. If you're at zero toe though, you shouldn't have any adnormal wear.

I'll let the E46 gurus chime in

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

I'm confused by your terminology. By "dialing out" do you mean increasing negative camber to -2.0/-3.0? I would use "dialing out" to refer to decreasing the amount of negative camber, so I just want to make sure I follow.

Nice setup Katu, exactly what I want but I was planning on 255s, some spacers and as much camber as the stock suspension will allow me.

Quote Originally Posted by zj96sc View Post
    I'm confused by your terminology. By "dialing out" do you mean increasing negative camber to -2.0/-3.0? I would use "dialing out" to refer to decreasing the amount of negative camber, so I just want to make sure I follow.

Nice setup Katu, exactly what I want but I was planning on 255s, some spacers and as much camber as the stock suspension will allow me.
    Dialing out, as increasing negative camber over stock.

As for spacers, if you're going to be autocrossing or tracking your car...I don't recommend spacers at all. They tend to cause premature wear on suspension components when they are on during autocrosses, tracks, and other hard driving sessions

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Concur 100%. Primarily wheel bearings - pretty much a X mm increased lever for every ounce of force coming off the road. No bueno.

spencers Guest
    Leave your alignment settings as they are. If you're new to auto-x, just get out there and get seat time. You shouldn't notice any abnormal wear with normal settings. You'll just see faster tire wear.

Apex wheels look GOOOOD! I hope to pick up a square setup on the next group buy. What tires did you get?

I agree that it's best to just jump into auto-x to get some time behind the wheel. However, if I just put on a new set of tires shouldn't I get an alignment done ASAP? If I'm going that route why not use the best settings to begin with, unless you think factory specs are ideal for a squared setup?

The tires are Michelin Pilot Super Sports, they seem to have great reviews.

Thanks for all the replies so far, keep them coming?

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Katu View Post
    I agree that it's best to just jump into auto-x to get some time behind the wheel. However, if I just put on a new set of tires shouldn't I get an alignment done ASAP? If I'm going that route why not use the best settings to begin with, unless you think factory specs are ideal for a squared setup?

The tires are Michelin Pilot Super Sports, they seem to have great reviews.

Thanks for all the replies so far, keep them coming?
    Yes, it is advised to get an alignment done after you've purchased new wheels/tires.

I just purchased the Pilot Super Sport tires myself. I am loving them!

I would never skip an alignment after fresh rubber and wheels, especially if it has been a long time since your last alignment.

You can start a wear trend in a just a few thousand miles that will hurt the ability to the tire to achieve its maximum wear life (cupping, feathering) if things are out of wack.

You can mitigate this need by examining the wear patterns on the removed rubber - if you are happy with what you see you can generally expect the same from the new set.

But regardless - I am ok with the cost of an alignment every now and then, and I think a suspension geometry change (staggered->square) plus new rubber is a great time to do it.

I'm going to call around locally and see if I can find an alignment shop that specializes in BMWs. I know the dealer does but I doubt they would do anything but the stock settings. Anyone else with a squared setup that wants to chime in?