Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Another Use for Iron-X By Car-Pro- Corrosion on Hubs/Any Car Parts

So I know this is my second thread on this cleaner, but I have found a very valuable second use for this detailing product.

It is called Iron X and is made to break the chemical bond between Iron and our paint/wheels. I posted a thread on how it works with brake dust- and doesn't effect anything else.

So on to the new use...

I bought my new zhp as a couple of you know, and when I picked it up the rear driver side tire was sitting at under 10psi. Luckily I checked all the tires at the gas station around a quarter mile from the owners house, and the tires were safely inflated for the drive home on the NJTP.

The car has been sitting in my garage for a week and the tire went totally flat (screw in the tire I just found out). I jacked it up and tried to pull the wheel off and it was totally jammed on- as is what happens when you don't grease the hub-ring. I don't think the wheel had been removed since the last tire/brake job- around 20k miles ago.

I tried penetrating oil through the spokes on the hub (yes I cleaned the rotor!) and I used a mallet on both sides of the wheel/tire to try to shock the wheel into letting it go. I got my father to try and help- and we're both big guys- 6' 5" ~250lbs, and the darn wheel just wouldn't come off.

As we sat there scratching our heads I thought of what I might have in my arsenal that could help, and I realized that Iron X is meant to remove a similar kind of corrosion from paint!

I sprayed it on through the lug holes and on the hub, and it instantly turned purple, meaning it was dissolving iron bonds. About 5 minutes later a few thwacks with the mallet on the tire and the wheel pulled off- a pile of purple juice lying on the cardboard I put under the wheel.

So anyway- if any part of your brakes/wheel/hub combo is stuck from corrosion, or anything under the car like sway Bar/CAB bolts or exhaust bolts are stuck, this could be a much more effective and more benign alternative to PB Blaster and WD-40!

Cliff Notes: Iron-X un-siezed my rear wheel from its hub, where penetrating oil would not.

Detailers Domain sells a similar product and Detailed Image carries Iron-X

It is safe on paint and everything, smells like rotten eggs and looks like this:

After wiping off the product, it will basically dissolve any of that unsightly brown/orange rust that may be on your rear wheel bearing cap/hub area.
    - Derek

Thanks Derek. Definetely a good tool to have in the arsenal.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Yeah I agree, I will try and post up some pictures of the process on the next wheel I do. I'm sure they are all frozen.
    - Derek

Nice. This doesn't hurt the wheels?
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    Isn't washing the car, the purpose of the product? I would think if it didn't hurt the car, it would be safe on wheels?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by johnrando View Post
    No, it won't.

You're attacking the iron ontop of the wheel and paint, that's what its reacting with.

Not to mention its organic.

Sent using satellite technology

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Must acquire this magical solution

~Steve
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods: Smoked corners, smoked side markers, smoked tails, 35% tint, CF kidney grills, debadged, angel eyes, 3000k HID Fogs, OBX exhaust, Sharked, solo werks S1 coilovers, front and rear strut brace, AUX cable
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me"