Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Steptronic Transmission Problem

So I hop in my car to leave work yesterday afternoon (the drive in to work was uneventful - nothing to make me suspect any issues for the drive home) and the first strange thing to happen was when I tried to start the car, it began to start then shut off. This happened so quick I thought maybe I just didn't turn the key long enough to start.

Turn the key again and it fires right up. I put it in "D" and notice it went into gear a little hard. Then I see the transmission malfunction indicator light is lit up on the dash. (the gear with an ! in the center) There is a dealer on the way home so I decided to just try and drive it there and see how it goes. The car was driveable in all gears, only the gear shifts felt like I was being rear-ended everytime. Downshifts were even worse and had me bracing myself when I anticipated one coming. On the way to the shop I pulled over and turned the car off, put it into park and waited about 10 seconds before re-starting to see if the light would correct itself (mentioned in the manual). That didn't work so I just proceeded to the dealer.

I got there in time before the service shop was closed, but the techs were gone for the day already. But after being inside talking to the service manager for a bit, the light didn't come on when he started the car and put into "D". Hopefully there is a code stored since it seemed to be ok when he started it. So I left it with them. Any guesses on what it could be?

Maybe just a software issue?
    Something more serious?

I didn't think to try reverse as that seems to be the most common issue with the step trans.

Oh and the car is an '05 with 70k miles.

Sounds like it went into limp mode. I think it gives up on all "comfort" programming at that point.

My mom's touring has gone into limp mode once when I was driving it, but it was cooollld....11/12F. hasn't done it since.

Oh and it was in the 50s/60s here yesterday. So it shouldn't be weather related!

Damn. Other than taking it to the dealer.....I would say do a refresh......

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...ion/ES2523327/

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

How many miles are on your car? I would have them check the guibo while they're down there

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Hahahahaha... the '02 only needs 1 bottle, I bought 2 just in case

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Damn. Other than taking it to the dealer.....I would say do a refresh......

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...ion/ES2523327/
    Yeah a refresh in on my radar for the near future.

Oh and your link is for the wrong kit (wrong year).

Because thorough Dane.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermes View Post
    How many miles are on your car? I would have them check the guibo while they're down there
    70k miles and I'm sure the dealer will check EVERYTHING they can possibly charge me to fix/replace.

Let us know what they say. I'm going to do a trans refresh soon too.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I missed where you said mileage in the first post... sorry

I would also advise that you change the diff fluid at the same time

I just heard back from the dealership - they said it was the "crankshaft sensor", so I'm assuming he meant the crankshaft position sensor. I don't know how a bad CPS would the throw the transmission into limp mode. But oh well, we'll see if it works.

DIY - DIY - DIY

No?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast