Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I've been told Stewart's are bulletproof

I talked to a guy I work with about just changing my water pump. I actually met a few years before we worked together at an all German car show. He has been heavy into Bimmers & Porsche for years. He told me that i should have put in at Stewart pump saying they are bullet proof.

http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Mer...y_Code=BMWHPWP

Dinan; Hign Flow Intake System, & Strut Tower Brace
    Turner Motorsports; Underdrive Power Pulleys
    Koni Sport, Bridgestone; Potenza RE-11, Coby Wheel
    Stewart High Performance Water Pump
    Hawk High Performance Street 5.0 Brake Pads
    Brembo Rotor

The purposeful face of a formidable athlete:

The spine-tingling 330i Performance Package.

Purchased CPO on 12/23/2006 with 28,090 miles

Before looking into the OEM composite wp, I had already bought the kit with the metal impeller. But upon researching, I feel that the main problems with metal impeller wp's is premature bearing failure. I've also heard about composite OEM bearing going bad too (E46 M3) at around 80k. But people have gone up to 130-140k with no overhaul of the cooling system, but even then, its usually the T-stat or expansion tanks that gives up first.

I recently check the water pump bearings/shaft and it had no play or wobbling @102k miles. Right now, I'm more worried about the expansion tank exploding, which I will change soon when flushing the coolant.

Quote Originally Posted by Linh View Post
    Right now, I'm more worried about the expansion tank exploding.....
    Hear, hear....
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Haha. . Yes Dane, you will be getting some PM's soon =)

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Nk- was just reading the December Roundel issue and there was a question in the Tech Talk section about cooling system overhaul and whether the water pumps are improved over the ones that we needed to replace every 60k.

At this time the well respected tech recommends water pump and thermostat at 60k, radiator, exp tank, plastic cooling fan, upper and lower hoses at 90k, and the other coolant and fuel hoses at 150k.

Said that he knows of no update to the oem pump that resolves the premature failure issues.
    that was regarding a 540i....I don't know if they have the same pump or not.
    FullyBalanced

daily driver - 2002 Honda Civic LX, Nighthawk Black, cold air intake
    summer ride - 2004 BMW 330i ZHP, Imola, 6MT, black leather, silver cube, cold weather package, xenons, BMW Performance stuff, ///M stuff, ACS stuff
    winter ride - 1997 Toyota Landcruiser FZJ80, 40th Anniversary, factory front and rear lockers, antique sage pearl, lifted and armored

Quote Originally Posted by 3ZHPGUY View Post
    I talked to a guy I work with about just changing my water pump. I actually met a few years before we worked together at an all German car show. He has been heavy into Bimmers & Porsche for years. He told me that i should have put in at Stewart pump saying they are bullet proof.

http://www.stewartcomponents.net/Mer...y_Code=BMWHPWP
    They have a lifetime warranty so I figured go ahead and get it in there!
    FullyBalanced

daily driver - 2002 Honda Civic LX, Nighthawk Black, cold air intake
    summer ride - 2004 BMW 330i ZHP, Imola, 6MT, black leather, silver cube, cold weather package, xenons, BMW Performance stuff, ///M stuff, ACS stuff
    winter ride - 1997 Toyota Landcruiser FZJ80, 40th Anniversary, factory front and rear lockers, antique sage pearl, lifted and armored

Quote Originally Posted by FullyBalanced View Post
    They have a lifetime warranty so I figured go ahead and get it in there!
    Problem is, the warranty isn't worth jack if it fails on you because you're still left stranded and still have to pay to get it fixed (if you don't do your own work). Plus, you'll be out a car for at least a few days while waiting for the replacement.

To me, it's greater peace of mind to replace it every 60k. I can't afford to have one fail on me during a track day because then not only will I be stranded very far from home, but I will have lost whatever money I dumped on the track day as well.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

so far, everything i've read is pretty complimentary of the stewart pump. i've assisted with the install of one in an e36 with a track-prepped motor and no issues so far.

i've also had no problems at all with BMW OEM water pumps using tech talk's maintenance interval - including my track car, which is at 189k and going strong.

general bmw cooling system rules apply - keep the coolant up to code, check for leaks and damage, don't over tighten the hose clamps, and address any issues immediately.

i have witnessed a radiator failure with no prior warning - so its possible. i don't think its fear mongering, but rather another piece of information to know.
    agreed, though, the odds of a radiator up and dying without any prior notice is pretty rare.
    - now with 5 speeds

Yeah- I even googled to try and dig up some Stewart pump failure hits, but came up empty...
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Autozone.com
    So, I am on the TMS site searching for a composite water pump and I find this P/N 11517527910. It says that it is a fit for my car, but redirects me to this P/N 11517509985. This part number comes with with a "thumbs down" for my 2003 330i. But, it says that it fits the following BMW's (1999-2006 E46 3 series - 323i, 323Ci, 328i, 328Ci, 325i, 325Ci, 330i, 330Ci). Isn't this the new P/N that BMW is using: Part #: 11517509985 | Composite WP

Have any of you used this P/N on your cars? It looks like it should fit.

BavAuto is giving me this when I search for that P/N
    Substitution! We sell the same part as a different number. You searched for: 11 51 7 509 985
    We sell the same part as: 11 51 7 527 910

ECSTuning comes up with a fit for my E46 M54 330i.

I think I should be good ordering that part from TMS. I am getting the power pulleys too and wanted to save on shipping.
    Last edited by quikryptonite; 03-14-2014 at 01:57 PM. Reason: Clarification
    2003 Mystic Blue 330i ZHP 6 MT

born in germany | delivered to baltimore | spent time in texas | resides in utah
    aFe ProDry S Air Filter | Dinan Stage 1 Software | H&R 27mm Front Sway Bar
    Bridgestone RE760 | StopTech Street Performance Pads
    BMW OEM Clear Corners & Side Markers | Ziza LED Light Kit | AL Bi-Xenon Retrofit | BSW Soundplicity iPod Integration

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123