Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

EML in the cold?

I took my "new" ZHP ('06 330Ci, 66kmiles) to Vermont this weekend. I don't think she's ever been there, living in FL and GA before, according to CarFax.
    Sunday morning the temperature dropped to 11 degrees. The car started, but sounded as if only two cylinders were firing at most. It stalled in about 20 seconds. Restarted, it ran, but was shaking, spewing unburned gas (smell), and all in all impersonating a one-cylinder Diesel tractor. I tried to spin it up but wouldn't go over 2000, hovering 1500-2000 regardless of what I was doing. I figured when it warms up it would be ok, so kept trying. I didn't notice the EML light at first. A few minutes into it I did, and by then the temp gauge was well into the blue. I stopped and restarted - it started up and purred as if nothing has happened.

I would very much appreciate any insight you guys may offer-
    - what could have been going on? Just the cold or something is really wrong?
    - did I make it worse, possibly damage something by running the engine in this state?

thanks
    Peter

Can you read the engine code? That's the best way to figure out what happened to your car. Let us know.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

My money is on a weak battery.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    Can you read the engine code? That's the best way to figure out what happened to your car. Let us know.
    I have no reader and am about three weeks and 2500 miles from home...

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    My money is on a weak battery.
    That and the cold could do anything I have to agree. A month ago the battery measured out perfect (with temp in the fifties) for whatever that's worth.

The battery is usually a good starting place. If you have any autoparts store near you, you can take your car there and they will read the codes for free. I just keep an OBD2 Actron scanner in my car. I got the cheapest one for $40 and it does everything I need it to do. It just reads codes.
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    The battery is usually a good starting place. If you have any autoparts store near you, you can take your car there and they will read the codes for free. I just keep an OBD2 Actron scanner in my car. I got the cheapest one for $40 and it does everything I need it to do. It just reads codes.
    Great! thank you!

If the temp was drastically higher when you last ran the car, maybe the sensors freaked out by the massive temp change on the next start up? I'd also look at the battery first as it is easy and usually free at some places.

Quote Originally Posted by telijah View Post
    If the temp was drastically higher when you last ran the car, maybe the sensors freaked out by the massive temp change on the next start up? I'd also look at the battery first as it is easy and usually free at some places.
    I got there Friday and it was in the 30's - Saturday it was also in the 30's but the car didn't move. Sunday morning it was 11; I wouldn't have thought that that qualifies for drastic change but who knows...

In any case I'll go and try to get the code and the battery checked.

Thanks to all who opined...
    - Peter

Quote Originally Posted by pfr View Post
    I got there Friday and it was in the 30's - Saturday it was also in the 30's but the car didn't move. Sunday morning it was 11; I wouldn't have thought that that qualifies for drastic change but who knows...

In any case I'll go and try to get the code and the battery checked.

Thanks to all who opined...
    - Peter
    Again it's tough to really narrow down the problem without the code(s). The fact that your car is an '06 and has low mileage, I wouldn't think it is anything serious to worry about.
    ~Rob~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast