Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Rear window defroster

So the previous owner had a tint job and removed it himself. As I discovered this week, he sucked at removing tint! The rear defroster now doesn't work properly.

I'm sure I'm not the first to have this issue, but I didn't find anything when I searched. My story is that the first few lines of defroster on the bottom do work, so I'm sure the problem is on the window (not an electrical problem leading to it). Is this possible to repair myself? Or would I need to replace the whole window?

I've never seen a car only have a few lines work.

I'm also not sure on the e46 but some cars have more than 2 leads going to the defroster, have you checked to make sure all the leads are connected? They are under your C pillars. The covers will just pop off, I prefer to use a panel popper.
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

If he used a razor blade to remove tint...then be ready to replace the window

Sent using mental telepathy

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Quote Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
    If he used a razor blade to remove tint...then be ready to replace the window

Sent using mental telepathy
    That's a good point, probably scrapped them right off

If you can find the actual breaks in the lines, you can repair the stuff. My old jeep had a couple broken lines and I was able to repair them using some product designed to bridge the scrapes. Just some metallic paint stuff. Comes with a little stencil. Worth a shot before you spring for new glass.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-15067.../dp/B000HBI9YQ

Like I said though, only going to work if you can find the actual breaks.

Are there defrost leads under both c-pillars? None of my lines have ever worked since I bought the car. I removed the driver c pillar last year when upgrading my radio and had to swap antenna amplifiers, and I took the opportunity to look at the "diversity" connector, which seems to also connect to the defrost lines. I JUST now realized though that considering it goes from the antenna amplifier, those may only connect to the antenna lines on the window... maybe I need to pull the passenger c pillar. All fuses were OK...

Quote Originally Posted by telijah View Post
    Are there defrost leads under both c-pillars? None of my lines have ever worked since I bought the car. I removed the driver c pillar last year when upgrading my radio and had to swap antenna amplifiers, and I took the opportunity to look at the "diversity" connector, which seems to also connect to the defrost lines. I JUST now realized though that considering it goes from the antenna amplifier, those may only connect to the antenna lines on the window... maybe I need to pull the passenger c pillar. All fuses were OK...
    Cars that have antennas in the rear window normally have 1 lead on one side and 2 leads on the other side. Again though I've never taken a e46 rear window out

I'll have to pop off the passenger side this evening and take a look then. On the driver side, I have this thing attached to the window: (#5) http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...65&fg=30&hl=30

Quote Originally Posted by telijah View Post
    I'll have to pop off the passenger side this evening and take a look then. On the driver side, I have this thing attached to the window: (#5) http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...65&fg=30&hl=30
    That picture is your antenna amplifier #6 is the antenna amplifier plug that attaches to the window. Above and below that you should have two connections that are soldered to the window (those are your heating wires, and are grounded back to the chassis).

On your passenger side you have 3 more connectors (2 going to your window grid, the heater elements) the 3rd is for your radio Freq. Trap (filter)

I am not sure on your car, but on a e36 the heater elements are labeled "Heizung" which is Heater in english.

From what you said though you might be missing some leads, if you have time take pictures of both sides and post and I will tell you if you are missing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by zj96sc View Post
    If you can find the actual breaks in the lines, you can repair the stuff. My old jeep had a couple broken lines and I was able to repair them using some product designed to bridge the scrapes. Just some metallic paint stuff. Comes with a little stencil. Worth a shot before you spring for new glass.

http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-15067.../dp/B000HBI9YQ

Like I said though, only going to work if you can find the actual breaks.
    Great, great tip. Thanks for sharing.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast