Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Another VANOS Questions....

I know that my VCG was in all probability replaced by PO. Do not know when. Even though the work was not documented. Even the rubber gasket that are reacheable and sticking out are it is still soft and pliable. And I can see some sort of sealant that was used towards the front end of the engine. Where the corner turns inward to the halfmoons.

With 110K+ on the clock, how could it be known if a VANOS was ever done? Would there be any visible signs of a VANOS repair?

After some communications with John (LiveNearCostco), that evidently, there are two types of VANOS repairs. The seals only or the whole enchilada repair....

Which proceedure is the one that gives everybody the headeache? I take it is the whole enchilada dinner plate #4 in Roberto's...
    Lawrence
    "But Mama....That's where the fun is!"
    BMW CCA #192742
    San Diego & Sin City Chapter
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen (The Crown Jewel)
    '20 X5 M Sport Tourquis Blue - #3 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Sapphire Black - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Mineral White - Daughter & Grand Kids Ride
    '24 X4 M40i Brooklyn Grey - SO's New Ride
    '05 330i ZHP Mystic Blue Metallic 6 spd - My Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier XE Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range vehicle

Naaa... We've tried to answer this before. Only BMW documented repair would tell?

Plugs, vcg, vanos gasket, etc... Don't give any tells, really.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I would wait until you have vanos symptoms or need to replace your vcg again.

That being said, if it's 50k miles from now, and you're not having any vanos symptoms, I'd say you're good to go.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I think my car is starting to develop the rattle. Just to confirm, the rattle doesn't cause any damage, it just sounds bad, right? I'll have to plan a weekend to tackle this, but it may not be for a while if it is not a serious issue. Thanks

nike001 Guest
    Do the VANOS anyways. Always good to be sure.

edlvrt, I haven't heard anything bad that comes from VANOS related problems. The rattle is only an annoyance, and the seals start to deteriorate. I haven't heard anything regarding to deteriorating seals causing any problems..

Would it be ridiculous if I was to puchase the kit or seals before they happen? Or just wait for symptoms?
    Lawrence
    BMW CCA #192742
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE

nike001 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by das boots View Post
    Would it be ridiculous if I was to puchase the kit or seals before they happen? Or just wait for symptoms?
    Do you have any rattle at around 2k RPM?

Negative. Quiet as the western front...knock-knock.
    Lawrence
    BMW CCA #192742
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE

Lawrence, just to clarify, for the E46 non-M, you can replace the seals or do the anti-rattle kit, or both on your existing VANOS. Or you can buy a reconditioned VANOS from Dr. VANOS that already has new seals and I think it has the anti-rattle parts too. The end result is the same, you just choose between saving money or saving time. I say if you have 100K miles and your VCG is not leaking, then somebody replaced the VCG before.

I think Rajaie said online there is some test the dealer can do to test VANOS responsiveness and it can help determine if your VANOS seals are bad.

You always do seals. Anti-Rattle kit if you have rattle.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast