Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    In my case, I couldn't really tell that my VANOS seals have deteriorated. Since it happens over time, you couldn't really tell anyways. The only way was to pull the VANOS off and check the movement of the pistons-or with diagnostic equipment. Mine were very sloppy and moved very easily. I took a video of it, but for some reason, the file got corrupted. But, it just moved up and down. The rattle is obvious, either you have it or you don't. If you don't have it at 100k, I wouldn't sweat it. You may never get it. If you're going to do the VCG, you should do the VANOS seals as it is very easy to do. Since you're doing most of the job to replace the VCG, you might as well take a little more time to do the seals. If you take your time, be very careful with the pistons and clean everything thoroughly, you'll be golden. Follow the instructions on the website-they're great.

After I did mine, the VANOS pistons were very snug in the unit. I could definitely tell a difference in the low end response and the transition at around 3k-ish.

One thing-DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT bend the metal VANOS gasket like I did. You will get a leak on the front of the unit. In fact, I had replaced the VANOS gasket with a new one about 1k miles after I did the seals. When I replaced it, I checked the movement of the pistons. It was still VERY snug! I could hear the vacuum created by moving the pistons.

Also, I have heard that some of the aftermarket VCG can have small nicks in them, so inspect it carefully before putting it on, or go OEM. I would strongly suggest OEM for the VANOS gasket as it comes with a cardboard backing to prevent the bending of the gasket during shipping or being opened by an over-zealous owner...

You can tell if the VCG has been replaced if the sealant at the transitions to the half-moon areas is copper colored or appears 'messy'. When I did mine, the factory sealant was very neat and uniform looking. It is practically impossible to get it like that with your finger.

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

This is the photo of the VCG and part of the half-moon. Me thinks that the VCG have already been replaced. The gaskets are soft as compared to the gaskets that I replaced with my 5'er's VCG at 80K mi. which were hard and crumbled like crackers...

Now, would PO's mechanic also have replaced any seals or do a VANOS repair when they did the VCG? That is the $$$ question....
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Lawrence
    "But Mama....That's where the fun is!"
    BMW CCA #192742
    San Diego & Sin City Chapter
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen (The Crown Jewel)
    '20 X5 M Sport Tourquis Blue - #3 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Sapphire Black - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Mineral White - Daughter & Grand Kids Ride
    '24 X4 M40i Brooklyn Grey - SO's New Ride
    '05 330i ZHP Mystic Blue Metallic 6 spd - My Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier XE Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by das boots View Post
    This is the photo of the VCG and part of the half-moon. Me thinks that the VCG have already been replaced. The gaskets are soft as compared to the gaskets that I replaced with my 5'er's VCG at 80K mi. which were hard and crumbled like crackers...

Now, would PO's mechanic also have replaced any seals or do a VANOS repair when they did the VCG? That is the $$$ question....
    That photo looks exactly like mine did before replacement. Mine was still fairly pliable at 92k. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of mine prior to.

The VANOS seals is a totally different repair/replacement item and I doubt any mechanic would just do it unless specifically requested to do so. Plus, it would probably cost a bit of money due to the time it takes to actually do the repair.

It is a fairly easy DIY though. Maybe 2-3 out of 5?

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Here, you can see the little glob of sealant that BMW uses. Yours looks exactly like mine. Right hand side of the valve cover, right where the VANOS attaches to the front of the engine (below the socket wrench).

That said, unless you have a leak, you may not need to replace it just yet, especially since it still feels pliable and soft. You could probably tackle the VCG and the VANOS all at the same time. No need to rush into it from what I understand-since you mentioned you don't have a leak. But, I wouldn't put it off terribly too long. My VCG was still soft and pliable when I removed it, but it was leaking.

Name:  P1020860 (800x600).jpg
Views: 276
Size:  342.0 KB

It surely looks like it.....So, it also could be possible that PO had the VCG done with the delaer? Or if the VCG have not been done, then I am sitting on a ticking time bomb.....Wonder if any dealer is willing to do a printout of all of the things that was done to the car by any authorized dealer?
    Lawrence
    BMW CCA #192742
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE

Quote Originally Posted by das boots View Post
    It surely looks like it.....So, it also could be possible that PO had the VCG done with the delaer? Or if the VCG have not been done, then I am sitting on a ticking time bomb.....Wonder if any dealer is willing to do a printout of all of the things that was done to the car by any authorized dealer?
    Someone here with more knowledge may know more, but from what I understand, all the dealer needs is your key and it will pull up all of the history on that car done at the dealers, but not anybody else (independents etc).

I doubt it was done at the dealer too. I would say your VCG is still factory. The bolts look very clean. If they've been touched by human hands, there would be some signs of it on the edges.

An original VCG is not a ticking time bomb (like having the original cooling system). The only thing that will happen is an oil leak. Since you sound pretty concerned about it, set aside a Saturday after you've done your research and bought all the parts and go to it.

Johnny

Concerned? Yes. Stressed out? No. I have already done a VCG on an '03 E39. So, I know what are the proceedure. But did not do a VANOS seal replacement to the E39 since it did not have any symptoms. However, if I am to do a VCG on this ZHP, I will in all probability do a VANOS seal & gasket replacement. Now, what is this anti-rattle thing that needs to be done? I read through the DIY from Beisan, there was no mention of rattle. Anybody, please explain.....BTW, the more I read the DIY, the more I am getting comfortable on getting this done as a DIY.
    Lawrence
    BMW CCA #192742
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE

Seperate procedure that has you Seperate the pistons and put in undersized spacers, allowing for less axial/radial play.

http://www.beisansystems.com/procedures/double_vanos_rattle_procedure.htm

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

nike001 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Seperate procedure that has you Seperate the pistons and put in undersized spacers, allowing for less axial/radial play.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Bingo. This play is what causes the rattle.

Aha...that is the one. Are the undersized spacers are those rings that come with the kit?
    Lawrence
    BMW CCA #192742
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast