Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Like I said, there won't be any 'symptoms', just a slow degradation of performance over time. If you drive a fresh ZHP and then an old one, you will notice a difference in low end response and the transition to the different cam timing wont be as smooth. At your mileage, I would bet that your seals are pretty bad. Mine were at 92k.

When you do your VCG, spend the extra $65 for the seals and do it. If you don't have a rattle, it may never happen. But, you could always do both just to be sure.

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

I'll throw in my $0.02 having just re-done my VANOS seals: I'd assume, like most others, that your VCG is original, as are your VANOS seals. The portions of my VCG at 92k that I could touch from the outside were fairly soft & pliant, but the parts on the inside of the valve cover were brittle as hell, especially the spark plug well gaskets. I didn't have any noticeable VANOS rattle, but bought the anti-rattle kit just in case. Beisan's walkthrough describes how to check your VANOS pistons for the axial play that the anti-rattle kit fixes; mine weren't audible, but had a decent bit of play. As for the VANOS seals, it's pretty much guaranteed that yours are plasticized, shrunken, & brittle.

In short, a VANOS seals, anti-rattle, & VCG job isn't a hard DIY, & certainly isn't one that's vital if you aren't experiencing any symptoms.

Travis | ’04 ZHP sedan 6MT | WeĭssLĭcht AEs | BMW clears | Plasti-Dipped grilles | BMW Perf. intake | TMS Power Pulleys | DIY aux-in | !CDV
    Sprint Booster w/Sport button | Mich PS AS4 (245 sq) | M3 front sway | Z4M LCABs | Beisan VANOS rebuild | GAS DISA rebuild | BMW diag. PC

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGraphic View Post
    Like I said, there won't be any 'symptoms', just a slow degradation of performance over time.
    ... unless they get really bad. Once they get really bad, you can get definite symptoms.

Surging at 3k is one that I had very noticeably on my 325.

My 325 would also stall with the AC on when starting from a stop. This was the symptom that led me to research causes... which is when I first learned what a vanos was and what my problem was.

That was at about 100k.

To your point, though, for most people who have vanos seals that are somewhere between new and terrible, there will not likely be any noticeable symptoms.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by das boots View Post
    Aha...that is the one. Are the undersized spacers are those rings that come with the kit?
    Yes. They are the anti-rattle kit. 2 rings. Double vanos.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Bravo Zulu to all. Now, I will have to keep my eyes and ears opened to any symptoms that you all specified. Oil leaks from VCG is very obvious. VANOS is what I will be pinging on....as DW's submariners would say..."One ping only."
    Lawrence
    "But Mama....That's where the fun is!"
    BMW CCA #192742
    San Diego & Sin City Chapter
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE
    '90 M3 AWII - Garage Queen (The Crown Jewel)
    '20 X5 M Sport Tourquis Blue - #3 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Sapphire Black - #1 Son Ride
    '23 X5 M Sport Mineral White - Daughter & Grand Kids Ride
    '24 X4 M40i Brooklyn Grey - SO's New Ride
    '05 330i ZHP Mystic Blue Metallic 6 spd - My Ride
    '03 Nissan Frontier XE Crew Cab - Hauler & Down Range vehicle

Bravo Zulu to all. Now, I will have to keep my eyes and ears opened to any symptoms that you all specified. Oil leaks from VCG is very obvious. VANOS is what I will be pinging on....as DW's submariners would say..."One ping only."
    Yup....

For you my friend.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Great find....That's where I got my screen name. Although I was referring to Capt. Marko Ramius from Red Oktober.
    Lawrence
    BMW CCA #192742
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE

Great find....That's where I got my screen name. Although I was referring to Capt. Marko Ramius from Red Oktober.
    Sweet.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

I would definitely do the Vanos anti rattle kit and seals when doing the VCG. When I hit 100K my VCG started leaking so I decided to do the plugs, gasket and the Vanos. You're half way there anyway when doing the VCG and plugs. I had the surge at 3,000 rpm's but NO rattle, the seals were very hard. For the money doing both is a no brainer. After doing the Vanos my ZHP runs like new!

FYI: When torquing the Vanos bolt that is reverse threads on the pistons make sure your torque wrench works on reverse threads, mine didn't. I almost snapped that bolt off.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Do you feel the surge at 3K when traveling at freeway speeds? Meaning when at 3K, there will be a RPM surge that jumps and settles down? Just needing to keep my eye on symptoms....I need to read again the VANOS DIY concerning the torque values of the bolts. I seem to not seeing that phase of torquing the bolts.
    Lawrence
    BMW CCA #192742
    NRA Lifetime Member

STABLE

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast