Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Ryan's ZHP Project

Picked up an '04 Imola 6sp ZHP sedan from Alex (Overlord) in Tulsa, OK last weekend. Flew down there Friday evening from Chicago, and drove back all day Saturday.

First Impressions: The car is surprisingly different from my '03 325xi (auto). There's the obvious stuff like the stiffer suspension, rwd, and manual transmission. Overall though, there's just a different feeling to the car. The doors shut differently, there aren't any creaking noises, and there's just a subtly-different feeling to it.

Stuff I Need to Do: This part is slightly frustrating, because I pretty much just caught up with everything I could possibly need to do on my xi. There isn't a ton of stuff, but I think it's going to add up quickly (especially the painting part...)

• Fix burnt Bowl Issue (wish I would have know about this before driving home in the dark - can barely see at all!)
    • Replace Lower Radiator Hose
    • Replace Thermostat (stuck open)
    • Replace Power Steering Pressure LIne
    • Replace Belts
    • Fix Passenger Airbag Sensor Mat
    • Dr. Colorchip or Respray Hood/Front Bumper (TONS of chips)
    • Replace Front Brake Pads and Turn Rotors
    • Fix Small Tear in Driver's Side Alcantar Bolster. Any ideas on this? I'm thinking fabric glue...?
    • Transfer Clears, AE's and LED Tails from the xi (unless I keep them with the xi when I sell it)
    • Paint Grills Black
    • Polish Windshield (someone must have loved driving behind gravel trucks )
    • Complete Detail and Paint Restoration (after I get the front end cleared up)
    • Oil Change and Coolant Flush
    • Front window regulator things
    • Pulleys
    • Fluids

Final item on my list: sell my beloved xi This is definitely going to be the toughest part. I barely knew how to change the oil on a car before I owned this - it literally taught me everything I know! I'm definitely going to miss it, but I suppose like Neil Young said, it's better to burn out than fade away. If anyone knows of a good home for this car, let me know!

Last edited by ryankokesh; 02-13-2012 at 10:51 AM.

Sweet, it's Imola!

I think a fabric glue is going to be your best option for the seat. If the tear is larger than 3mm I would stitch it, and yeah it's probably not going to look great.

Curious to hear more about this "polish the windshield". I didn't realize that was possible.

And can we get clear pics of the front end chips? I'm curious if touch-ups or a complete respray would be your best option.

Again, congrats on the new ride.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Yeah, I'm thinking the repair for the alcantara isn't going to look great. I need to pm Coby and see if he has any suggestions... There's actually two small rips, but no fabric actually missing (meaning they close up). Seeing those kind of bummed me out, but the rest of the alcantara and fabric is in really good shape, so yeah...

As for polishing the windshield, I haven't done it but have heard good things about this product: http://www.autogeek.net/carpro-ceriglass-polish.html Someone did a DIY for it but I can't seem to find it at the moment..

I'll take some pictures of the front damage when I get home tonight... I'm sure a re-spray would be my best option, because the damage is extensive. I already have Dr. Colorchip left though, so as a cost-conscious measure I'll probably try that first. I'm sure it wouldn't be perfect, but I think I'm looking at like $400 for the hood alone. :/ Not really sure that's in the cards for a while...

A red respray is going to be expensive, I think you're looking $400-750 actually. Gotta love the cost of red!

Interested to see how the windshield turns out.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Ouch. That blows.

Fix burnt Bowl Issue (wish I would have know about this before driving home in the dark - can barely see at all!) > Lots of info here on this

Replace Lower Radiator Hose >>>> Might I recommend just doing the overhaul?
    Replace Thermostat (stuck open) >>>

Replace Power Steering Pressure LIne

Replace Belts > Add pulleys?

Fix Passenger Airbag Sensor Mat > I have a mat........muhahahaha

Dr. Colorchip or Respray Hood/Front Bumper (TONS of chips)

Replace Front Brake Pads and Turn Rotors > May not be able to turn rotors. Spec is stamped on rotor hat.

Fix Small Tear in Driver's Side Alcantar Bolster. Any ideas on this? I'm thinking fabric glue...? > No idea

Transfer Clears, AE's and LED Tails from the xi (unless I keep them with the xi when I sell it)

Paint Grills Black

Polish Windshield (someone must have loved driving behind gravel trucks )

Complete Detail and Paint Restoration (after I get the front end cleared up)

Oil Change and Coolant Flush

Front window regulator things

Sounds good. When was diff and tranny fluid done last?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    [*]Paint Grills Black
    IND or ban
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Burnt Bowl --> yeah, I think Charlie did a DIY on that? I read about it on the drive home, but not extensively. Seems like a pita. Also, who named this problem? :D

Replace Belt --> yeah, pulleys too...

Mat --> you haz mat??

Rotors --> should be fine to turn, supposedly they're brand new. Just ordered some ceramic pads from Ray.

Alcantara --> what do you mean no idea!?!

Fluids --> adding to list...

Get it? Haz mat? :D
    Last edited by ryankokesh; 02-13-2012 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
    IND or ban
    IND? I don't get it...?

Also, what's with everyone threatening to ban me?? lol

Alcantara = try mighty mend it
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast