Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Removed front strut bar - messed up alignment?

Hi guys,

Yesterday I removed my front strut bar. On the driver's side, one of the strut bolts wasn't an original, and it fell in when I took the bracket off. Didn't think it was a big deal, but when driving to and from work today I felt like I oversteered several times. Each time it was in a left turn. I would turn the car in, and end up much further than I wanted. Perhaps it's in my head, but could removing the strut bar have messed up my alignment? Any sure way to find out without shelling out a few hundred for re-alignment?

For what it's worth, pics of the struts:

Passenger side, all original bolts:

Driver's side, two original bolts, one missing as of yesterday:

Any advice would be appreciated!

Just put the bolt back in the FSM.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

It looks like you have, or had, some type of camber kit?

I see your factory pin that locks your camber into one position is gone so it's possible it could have moved when all the bolts were loose. I'm not sure how likely it would be though with all the weight of the front of the car on there. Can you tell if the bolts are in the same position they were before you loosened the nuts? If it's steering different now though you'd almost have to think it messed up the alignment.

Barry

If you have a level, or an iPhone, you could compare sides and see if both look to be at the same angle and get some idea if one may have moved....

Looking back at your pics though, those don't look like the typical FSM. You've got something else going on there.

You removing the strut bar, car on ground, suspension loaded, should not have affected your alignment.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've been carefully paying attention to it all week and think the whole thing was/is in my head. I haven't noticed anything since I posted. Will still keep an eye on it.

I see you have camber plates. I was looking on my phone....earlier.

So, some news: when I took the strut bar off, I took off the little bolts + plates which held the camber plates in place (I had no idea what these were and thought they were part of the strut bar). Today I went down to put these plates back on, and noticed that the struts had moved quite a bit. Went to my mechanic (needed an oil change anyways), they raised the car and the wheels simply dropped down. Struts were completely loose. They didn't move around much when the car was on the ground, but could have easily fallen out altogether if the front wheels caught any air over railroad tracks or something. The guys were pretty amazed that I was still alive and car uncrashed. Anyways, put the plates back in, now I need to do an alignment and should be golden. Lack of knowledge on my part is what led to this, but no permanent issues, so all is well.

They don't look loose in the above pics.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    They don't look loose in the above pics.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Aren't the bolts and nuts that allow you to adjust the camber missing in the pics? I have zero experience with camber plates but I assume the 3 factory strut mount studs and nuts are what hold the camber plate mounts in place and the camber plate adjusting bolts and nuts are what actually hold your strut assembly to your shock tower via the fixed slotted plate.

The 4 allen head bolts in this pic are missing on Kerunts plates.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast