Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Diagnosing front end knocking sound?

I have a nasty sounding knocking or clunking in the front end when I hit a bump or exit the street into a driveway etc. I've done some searches and see a whole lot of possible offending parts, but no real way to sort out what it what.
    Any recommendations on tests or key things to look at in the suspension to sort it out?
    64K miles on the ZHP.
    Tim

When i had this it was a loose end link. I tightened it and all was good. Have you done any suspension work lately? Also, check the LCABS. the easiest way to do tht is to have someone watch the front tires while you roll from 3 mph and hit the brakes hard. If the tire moves inside the wheel well, its time for new LCABS... good luck
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

+ 1 on endlinks.

Suspend front end. Grab the tire... And shake the crap outta it... While observing cabs, endlinks, inner and outer ball joints, etc. Should be easy to diagnose when looking at it.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

What Dane said.

I have a post about a creaking noise. I was going to put tie rod ends. Still got them will be doing install later next week. I was hearing this creaking noise couldn't figure it out. I had two people take a look and nothing. The noise kept getting worse, one day while pulling out my garage I heard a loud pop.

I took my car for alignment yesterday but was unsuccessful. The alignment shop tech does a lot of lowered BMW's so he always checks the wheels while suspended. Turns out that I need to replace lower control arm.

I did notice that my car has this wobble feeling above 65(somewhere around that speed).

Needless to say this will be replaced when I get lower control arms. I would also inspect FCAB as this too makes that noise.

Dane gave you great advice to check this out.

I had the same problem as you redwagon and gsen820. I replaced my sway bar bushings and fcabs with brand new OEM and after almost a month now, my car is back to being completely silent on corners, bumps, etc... I previously had UUC polys on both front sway and fcabs. I think that was definitely the issue with me. The brand new OEM units from Lemfedor has fixed all my noise issues.

But like others have said, it could be end links. Ensure they are super tight and if you haven't swapped out your fcabs yet, get OEM ones from autohausaz and swap.

I really have no idea what I am doing

Yeah.... Lemfedor is good stuff, along with Meyle.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

thanks for the input......will give it a try.
    Things feel pretty tight, but something is obviously loose. No creaking, groaning, etc.....just a hard knock.
    Tim