Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Fluids for Track

Simple question.

I know OEM brake fluid shouldn't be used because it has boiled before in our cars while on the track.

What should I replace it with? Making purchases shortly for Oil, just wondering what other fluid I should plan on replacing prior to DD, autocross, and HPDE season.

Thanks.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

spencers Guest
    Super blue.....

Huh, good to know oem could boil. Never knew that before...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    Huh, good to know oem could boil. Never knew that before...!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Under extreme braking (aka HPDE conditions) you can get that.

The place where I'll be tracking (Mid-Ohio)...I should be topping out around 130-140mph before hard on brakes into China Beach....I don't want brake fade and ending up in that place.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

I use ATE Type 200. Its gold in color but the same properties as ATE Super Blue. It's the cheapest of the higher boiling point brake fluids.

Boiling points Dry/Wet:

ATE Super Blue - DOT 4 - 536ºF / 396ºF
    ATE Super 200 - DOT 4 - 536ºF/ 382ºF
    BMW OEM DOT 4 - 446ºF /311ºF
    Castrol SRF - DOT 4 - 590ºF / 518ºF
    Motul RBF 600 - DOT 4 - 594ºF / 421ºF
    Motul RBF 660 - DOT 4 - 617ºF / 400ºF

Under my usual track prep routine, I would double check my engine oil, power steering fluid levels as well. I usually change my engine oil before and after a track day. A brake fluid is also performed before and after every track day.

I use OEM BMW brake fluid after track days for daily use. I never got to boil my brake fluid on the tracks locally. The highest speeds I reach are around 130mph going down to 50mph at laguna seca. I have warped OEM pads at laguna though.

Are you seriously boiling your brake fluid? Did you have to pump your brakes? Normally the last lap I coast without using the brakes to cool off the brakes. After the end of the session I drive on a bit of road stretching to the entrance of the place to cool down the brakes before pitting again. There have been numerous times I watch my front pads smoking in the dismay of what I just did to them LOL. Maybe its time to invest in some cooling ducts at those speeds! Thats one of the "to do" things for me.

Generally I use ATE Super Blue, but started using Motol late last year and did one track day on it (Watkins Glen, very hard on brakes) And really liked the Motol. Of course your results may vary!

Gary
    2004 ZHP Coupe TiAg 6mt
    "I never said it was special"

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    Are you seriously boiling your brake fluid? Did you have to pump your brakes? Normally the last lap I coast without using the brakes to cool off the brakes. After the end of the session I drive on a bit of road stretching to the entrance of the place to cool down the brakes before pitting again. There have been numerous times I watch my front pads smoking in the dismay of what I just did to them LOL. Maybe its time to invest in some cooling ducts at those speeds! Thats one of the "to do" things for me.
    Thanks for the information.

No, I've never boiled my fluid...never done a HPDE before. However, there are multiple stories (and videos) of Z4Ms going off-track and brake fading on HPDE days.

Brake fade or brake pedal goes to the floor but still works = shitty brake pads.

lost of pressure in the pedal and required to pump the pedal = boiling brake fluid.

nike001 Guest
    Thanks for that list of boiling points, Derek

TIRERACK.com - Revolutionizing Tire Buying
    I've always heard Super 200 and Super Blue are the same fluid but different colors to aid in visual confirmation that the old fluid has been completely flushed out.

I'm putting super blue in hopefully this weekend. not really because i'm planning on track time, just because i think i still have the original fluid and the stuff has a great reputation.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast