Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

So ummm, don't neglect small water leaks...

Raincouver got to the inside of my car finally. LOL. Both vapour seals on the driver's side were showing signs of water leakage months ago. I didn't make time to fix it immediately so I used towels in the bottom forward corners of the door sill to absorb any water that made it into the cabin. Little did I know that even though I kept the carpet dry something under the carpet was brewing. The amount of water that can collect on the surface is TINY compared to the amount of water that can collected underneath.

My good friend brought it to my attention and brought over his tools as he's a former BMW tech and we took the door panels apart to learn that the black sticky stuff that sticks the spongy/styrofoam vapour seal to the inside of the door panel was unsticking causing water to leak out into my car's interior. A quick wand of a heat gun to all the glue goo with some manual labour to squish the vapour seal back onto the sticky goo was all that was needed. Literally a 20 minute job. But due to my procrastination and ignorance of how bad a water leak can get, I spent 4-5 hours using a wet vac and shammy to absorb as much water as I can from the dense sound proofing sponge underneath the carpet. As you can see from the below pictures, what's under the carpet holds so much more water that you won't feel from the surface of a dried carpet. Luckily it was still caught in time that mold didn't succumb to the sound deadening sponge. Looks like it's going to take a few days to dry up now....

Moral of the story? Don't procrastinate and learn the consequences of even the small problems.

--Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Sorry to hear, Trevor, but some great info in your post, so thanks!

Heat gun is an easy and sensible fix that I wouldn't have thought of.

Check back in and let us know how the fix lasts over time.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Man, I should really get my door seal fixed...

Thanks for passing along the info Trevor! Sorry to see you had to go through that though...

This is karma for shoving water up your tail pipes!

j/k.....Kinda.

Glad you got things addressed and the heat gun is such a sensible fix. Thanks for passing the info on.

Please visit my build page here, on CarDomain.

Throw some baking soda down under the carpet to absorb a bit and stop any smells like mildew from getting in there

~Steve
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mods: Smoked corners, smoked side markers, smoked tails, 35% tint, CF kidney grills, debadged, angel eyes, 3000k HID Fogs, OBX exhaust, Sharked, solo werks S1 coilovers, front and rear strut brace, AUX cable
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me"

Baking soda works really well to get rid of any odors. I usually sprinkle it on all four carpets and leave it overnight with some orange, lemon and grapefruit rinds. I vacuum it out the next day and then replace the fruit with coffee beans/ground coffee and leave that in there for a day. Car smells awesome afterward.

Quote Originally Posted by llll1l1ll View Post
    Baking soda works really well to get rid of any odors. I usually sprinkle it on all four carpets and leave it overnight with some orange, lemon and grapefruit rinds. I vacuum it out the next day and then replace the fruit with coffee beans/ground coffee and leave that in there for a day. Car smells awesome afterward.
    My wife has a knack for spilling milk in her car so I have become a pro at ripping the seats and floor out of it and shopvac-ing the interior I usually make a paste of baking soda and water and rub it into her carpet pad then use regular dry baking soda on the actual metal floor board and on top of the carpet works like a charm to get rid of the god awful smell

~Steve
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by midlandtech; 02-24-2012 at 07:42 AM.

Mods: Smoked corners, smoked side markers, smoked tails, 35% tint, CF kidney grills, debadged, angel eyes, 3000k HID Fogs, OBX exhaust, Sharked, solo werks S1 coilovers, front and rear strut brace, AUX cable
    "I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car, than win by an inch because someone built it for me"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryans323i View Post

j/k.....Kinda.
    LMAO
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Fortunately for me there are no funky smells!! Is there any other ways you guys know about to dry the foam up faster? I supposed once it's mostly dry it'll still completely dry eventually without mildewing when everything is back in place? At least my carpet is super clean now!! No funky stuff under the driver seat. LOL.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast