Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Car won't crank over...

I was running low on gas and had to drive my car to the airport (originally had called a cab but the dumbass never came, forcing me to drive so I wouldn't miss my flight).

By the time I got to the airport, 9 miles away, my gas light was on but I was confident that I'd have enough to fill it up once I'd get home (tonight). My car has been sitting idle for the past four days in long term parking and tonight I landed back.

I get to my car and start the car, but it won't crank. It's silent (beyond the faint whisper/humming of electronics activating) and I don't hear the fuel pump priming.

I thought it was a lack of gas, so I called AARP and they sent a guy to fuel up my car with 1 gallon of gas (stingy bastards!). It still wouldn't crank over. My battery was fine, because everything was turning on, but he still jumped my car and it made no difference.

Eventually had to get my car towed back home and I don't know what the hell is wrong with it.

Could it be that the fuel pump is broken? Maybe the starter is shot?

If you don't hear the fuel pump priming, then most likely your fuel pump is shot.

You can also check the fuse for the fuel pump, but I doubt that's your issue.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Yeah usually it's the fuel pump. Sometimes it's the relay which is a bich to get to behind the glove compartment. But you can swap it with the horn relay and confirm if you want to narrow problems down in the cheapest manner. I have a video on YouTube on what our fuel pump sounds like too.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

^^
    Good catch, Trevor. Knew I was forgetting something.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I don't know how to do any of the suggestions you guys have up there..

Do I need to get this towed for repairs?

Basically, when I try to start the car, I don't hear any mechanical sounds. I don't know if that means the fuel pump is shot or if it's something else. I remember the guy who came to fill up my car said that it could be the starter.

This

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Ok, just went back to my car this morning and clicked the key three times. I heard the faint whirring of what appears to be the fuel pump, coming from the rear passenger side seat.

So, I think my fuel pump is working, actually. Granted, it wasn't as loud or dramatic as in the vids shown above because of the seat, but I did hear a whirring sound. Is that the fuel pump?

The car just won't crank.

At the same time, when I turn the key three times without trying to start the engine, I hear a vibrating sound coming from the car. It's like an electronic groan. I took a video and you can hear it here in the first 7 seconds. In the subsequent 'cranks,' I'm fully turning the key to try to start the car to no avail.

I've noticed that the red bar on the coolant gauge turns on for a few seconds when I'm trying to start the car.. can that mean anything?

You could try holding the gas pedal half way down, with the key in position 2,for 10 seconds, then try to start it.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    You could try holding the gas pedal half way down, with the key in position 2,for 10 seconds, then try to start it.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Just tried that with nothing happening. I took a longer video showing the dashboard and all:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast