Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Time for me to get a buffer

Ok guys so I feel it's time for me to get a DA buffer. I detail my car every couple weeks by hand and I'd say it's time for me to go to the next level. I am looking at either the PC 7424 here... https://detailersdomain.com/Porter-C...ndle_p_58.html or the Griot's Garage buffer here... https://detailersdomain.com/Griots-G...Kit_p_683.html

I know each comes with pads and such and the PC is a tad more expensive but which do you all think would be easier to learn on and keep long term. The PC has a 5-year warranty which I like, compared to the Griot's Garage 1-year.

I am also looking for suggestions for which kinds of polishes (cutting,finishing, etc) and other products I would need to purchase for this?

Thanks!
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

I got my detailing stuff a while back so I got some of my stuff on sale. Since you have a black car just like mine, I'm sure the stuff I have would work just fine on your car.

M0nk3y helped me pick all this stuff out. He's the guy you want to take advice from.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Thanks for the reply! Am I going to use all the pads in the starter kit or would I be better off buying the buffer and then just the pads I need?

How many uses does one pad normally last for and which pads would you say I need to get?
    -Chris-

I would say get at least 2 of each of the polishing pads-medium cut(2) and fine cut(2). You may want to invest in a smaller disc and pad set too for the smaller areas.

Most of the higher quality polishes, wax/glazes etc will be just fine for your car. The biggest thing is the prep work. Once that is done, then the final product will be outstanding!

Get plenty of microfiber towels. Maybe 4 for drying, 2 or 3 for the door jambs and a 4 for each stage of removing polishes etc. You don't ever want to re-use a towel or pad if it has dropped on the ground.

One thing-Clay bar. This is probably one of the biggest factors in starting your prep work. This is especially if your car sits outside a lot.

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Thanks! I do clay every time I detail so I have that already. Sounds like I'll need more towels and then as for polishes and pads. I see there's compound, medium polish, polish, final polish etc as far as pads go. Will I need a compound pad and such? What's the difference between medium polishes and regular polishes?
    -Chris-

From heaviest 'sanding' to lightest, it's: Compounding, Medium Polish, Polish, Final Polish (usually). You'll have to navigate what each brand calls their polishes. Depending on how bad your car is, I would stick with a Polish and Final Polish. Only get a Medium Polish for those really heavily oxidized areas. And, go easy on that.

Get a specific pad to go with a specific purpose. Pads have their own cut characteristic.

I have a PC and like it a lot. I think the pad choice and technique will be more important vs. which DA (PC vs. Griots). Again, with high quality tools and polishes etc, you'll have great results. Especially if your car is a daily driver, the more expensive waxes/glazes may be a waste. Another thing to consider is how much time and energy you want to dedicate to this. Once you start down this path, it can take A LOT of time and energy not to mention money. I've done it so often...These days, age and a very bad back is keeping me from working on my car. I have to keep it to required maintenance etc. I take it to a local hand car wash every few weeks or so.

Check out this site: http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html Has a lot of good info. Take your time and research. Don't pull the trigger too quickly.

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieZHP View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Am I going to use all the pads in the starter kit or would I be better off buying the buffer and then just the pads I need?

How many uses does one pad normally last for and which pads would you say I need to get?
    You don't need all of those pads. For the final application (like sealant/wax) I do by hand. I do have a ton of pads, but that's not something you need as a beginner.

I do like the Hydropads for polishing. They do a really good job of finishing down with limited steps. They are designed for water based-polishes...like Meguiars 105/205.

Thanks! I do clay every time I detail so I have that already. Sounds like I'll need more towels and then as for polishes and pads. I see there's compound, medium polish, polish, final polish etc as far as pads go. Will I need a compound pad and such? What's the difference between medium polishes and regular polishes?
    With most polishes, the more aggressive you get the less depth, gloss...etc you will achieve. That's why it's always best to follow a hard polish with something lighter to cut down on marring and restore depth.

This is what M105/M205 can do:

to this:

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

nike001 Guest
    ^Now if only I could do that...

Monkey, can you elaborate on hard vs. soft polishes?
    -Chris-

Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    ^Now if only I could do that...
    You can, just takes time.

Monkey, can you elaborate on hard vs. soft polishes?
    To put it an easier way. Aggressive and Finishing.

Aggressive polishes, or hard, work at getting the main swirls out. They don't focus on restoring clarity, or anything besides removing swirls. That's why if you get a bad detailer, sometimes they only do this step. It looks fine in the shade, but it gets nasty in the sun.

Finishing polishes smooth out the marring and minor scratches that happen when you do aggressive polishing. This type of polish focuses mainly on restoring clarity, improving gloss and depth.

These are on very simple terms. There are tons of polishes that fit outside this category. I have 7 different polishes...all do the job differently. Once again though, if you're just doing your car..there is no reason for this.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast