Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I bought a "kit" from autogeek a couple years back that included.....

Porter Cable 7424XP Polisher
    5 Inch Backing Plate
    2 Cobra Microfiber Detailing Cloths (16 x 16 inches)
    5 Lake Country CCS Pads of Your Choice

Also added Meguairs 105 and 205 with one of the Manzerna polishes....lots and lots of MF towels. I ended up getting 5 different pads but I mainly use the orange and green pads, never really used the other pads(white, red, black). Waxes and finishing products I do by hand.

lmk if you need any assistance, I'm here for you.

fyi....

http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...isher-Base-Kit

Griot's polisher and 6 pads for $129

Thanks for the link. I saw that and am trying to decide at least between which buffer to get, that one or the PC by the date the pre-order ends haha

I figure I can worry about polishes and pads and such after but for now I just want to figure out which buffer to get so I can potentially take advantage of that sale price.
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

From the reading I've been doing it sounds like both are respected, with the griot vibrating your hand a little less. Unless I find some other major separating factor, I will let price be my decision point - and that deal is a good one.

Yes I'm leaning towards the Griot's Garage buffer too since I like the over head handle and it's a hell of a deal!

Assuming I purchased the Griot's Garage buffer with 5 pads, (I'm thinking 1 med cut, 2 polishing and 1 finishing??, AKA 1 yellow, 1 orange, 2 green, 1 blue) set me up with a set of polishes and such to start with. Monkey can you maybe step in please?

My paint is pretty good as is now. I am looking to finish out the buffer swirls from the PO, get rid of all swirls,spiderwebs etc. Are the Meguiars 105/205 the best bet? Which polishes should I use to achieve the results I want. BTW my car is Jet Black.

Sorry for the questions. I just don't want to end up buying hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of polishes and such before I find the one that suits my needs.
    -Chris-

do you have an pictures of the paint in the direct sunlight, I would like to see the defects on the paint.
    you may not need m105 if you're telling us that your paint is in good shape.

The car is filthy currently haha. A friend of mine recently ran it though a "rag" carwash which put me through the roof since now there are swirls all over the car again after I spent so long getting them out by hand! I can try to get some current pics of the car in direct sunlight tomorrow since it should be sunny. These are what the paint is like after I detail the car by hand at my house. (I'm at school currently)

-Chris-

I look forward to some shots in the sunlight.

Quote Originally Posted by HokieZHP View Post
    Yes I'm leaning towards the Griot's Garage buffer too since I like the over head handle and it's a hell of a deal!

Assuming I purchased the Griot's Garage buffer with 5 pads, (I'm thinking 1 med cut, 2 polishing and 1 finishing??, AKA 1 yellow, 1 orange, 2 green, 1 blue) set me up with a set of polishes and such to start with. Monkey can you maybe step in please?

My paint is pretty good as is now. I am looking to finish out the buffer swirls from the PO, get rid of all swirls,spiderwebs etc. Are the Meguiars 105/205 the best bet? Which polishes should I use to achieve the results I want. BTW my car is Jet Black.

Sorry for the questions. I just don't want to end up buying hundreds and hundreds of dollars worth of polishes and such before I find the one that suits my needs.
    Questions are fine. That's how people learn.

If you're only going to get 2 polishes, there isn't a need to get more polishing pads than 2...especially if you're only working on your car. What are the purpose of other pads if you only are using 2 steps?

Meguiars M105/205 is the combo to beat IMO. I have half of the Menzerna line on my shelf and I rarely use it (besides PO85RD). Meguiars is much easier to work with, finishes down nicer, and doesn't dust as much.

I'd say, (if you're talking LLC Pads color) go at least 3 Orange (for M105) and 3 White (for M205). You need a couple pads of each for each step, because polish clogs up in the pad and need to be washed. Unless you feel like waiting a couple days to wash the pad, and let it dry...I'd suggest grabbing a couple more. Personally I use between 6-8 pads PER step. But I'm OCD and I like having fresh pads for each panel.

You'll be happy with what M105/205 can do.

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast