Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

$10 No-hole License Plate Mod

My zhp is now officially registered in Illinois. I grew up in Indiana, and love the state for not making me deface my beautiful front bumper with a drab, out of place state plate. It's not a big surprise to me or anything that IL requires a front plate, but it really sank in when the DMV lady handed me the two pre-packaged plates and recited her phrase, "Now Illinois is a two-plate state! One on the front of the car, one on the back. If you don't have one on the front, you are eligible to be ticketed." You could tell she told everyone the same exact speil the same exact way. It had that I've-said-this-so-much-I-emphasize-weird-parts-of-the-sentence ring to it. She went on to explain about the little sticker you put on the back plate, but by that time I for some reason stopped paying so much attention. Probably because I'm not an idiot and can figure out how to put a sticker on a license plate. But, the fact that I didn't really listen was evident when I later asked her why there were two plates but only one sticker...

So anyway, I've always told myself I would never drill into a bumper. I'm morally opposed to this, which I'm sure all of you totally understand. I think it was drilled into me as a child. (see what I did there??) My parents, for example, made the vw dealership replace the entire front bumper on their new passat because it came pre-drilled. That was quite an ordeal...

On the way home from the DMV I stopped at AutoZone and found this bad boy:

It attaches to stuff, say the grill of the zhp bumper, like so:

I did need to make a stop at Home Depot and spend $1.50 on this hardware that wasn't included with the Bell Mount:

The plate kind of hits the car, so I temporarily stuck some of this 3M tape on the back of the plate to make sure it doesn't scratch it. I still have to come up with a better solution, because the tape I have is double sided... i just want it to be soft on one side. So for now I just left the backing on.

Done! Total cost, about $10.

Meh...I don't see why you just don't mount it with the trim insert, or mount that bracket in the tow-hook bolt. It just seems to be more in the way than if it was mounted normally
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Cause I didn't think of that.

So here's what you do:

Take tow-hook to your favorite hardware store and find the corresponding bolt and fit it to your bracket. Then you drill two holes in the sides of your plate and mount it to the bracket. Problem solved
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

Creative but I feel like the plate will end up bending back some and scratching up your bumper on the highway at high speed.
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

That's why I added the tape to the back of plate.
    Last edited by ryankokesh; 02-29-2012 at 09:52 PM.

$5 that cracks your mesh insert.

Like where your head is at, just don't think this is going to give you any longevity.

hmmm very creative
    looks great but would adjust it to what Hornung suggested as to avoid any scratching and or mesh damage

i would do it if i didnt live in florida where we are only required to have one plate in the rear
    THE ANGRY TOMATO

Yeah, that's what I would have liked to do, but it seems you can't just go get a bolt to fit the tow hook hole. Apparently it's a strange thread pattern or something.

yeah, its a weird thread:

probably snag one from a junkyard for a few bucks, saw it off, drill a hole through, go from there. Bet you could finish it up for the same $10.

Regardless, nice thinking out of the box.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast