Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Any Interest In Strong ZHP Replicas that Weigh Around 20lbs Each?

I talked to Alan at Modbargains a bit ago about making a rotary forged ZHP replica in 18", similar to the Sportline CS 16 CSL replicas in 18". Their construction would be similar to that of the Apex ARC-8 18", which should make them around as strong as our stock wheels- which are actually quite strong.

The 18x8.5" CSL rep weighs 19.8lbs, the 18x9.5" version weighs 19.6lbs. I think the zhp replicas would be similar in weight- maybe a bit heavier. We'd need 20-30 orders, which is steep, but this seems like it could be a great opportunity. Any interest? Keep the stock look and drop 7-8lbs per wheel!

Here are the Modbargains CSL Replicas just as an example:

http://www.modbargains.com/Sportline...Wheels-BMW.htm

Lower weight will give you:
    - Much better throttle response
    - Better gas mileage
    - More responsive handling, quicker braking
    - A smoother ride
    - Crisper turn in
    - The feel of more horsepower

A quote from the Pelican Parts Forum:

Track results tend to look better than paper calculations, but something like .5 hp per lb doesn't seem too far off for a 3000 lb 300 hp car. Here is a link to the thread, and the body of the main post.

http://www.rx8club.com/archive/index.php/t-3681.html

Quick summary. Some 6 owners have done back to back comparisons on the track comparing 18x8 rx8 rims (with stock tires), vs 16x8 rx7 rims (14 lbs less a corner) with similar diameter tires...and have dropped as much as 0.5 off their 1/4 time. In almost all the situations, the rx7 wheels were usually in a condition which wasn't favorable for good results, but regardless, a significantly acceleration difference was noted.

The performance benefits from reducing unsprung weight and rotational inertia are far greater then they seem on paper. This is of course completely ignoring the additional benefits to braking and handling which results from dropping unsprung weight.
    Here is some info on the benefits of reducing unsprung weight:

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/tech/....jsp?techid=98

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...d-tires-tested

The amount wheel weight affects straight line performance is the most debatable of the benefits, however there are certainly no downsides!
    - Derek

I was talking to my dad about lighter weight wheels. I said I didn't even think about how much they weigh, and how it would give me a performance boost to shed the weight. He said sure it would help a little bit, but those extra spokes and lbs provide strength. They don't bend or break as easy when hitting potholes or other things.

TL;DR - Will these new wheels have the same strength and integrity as the lighter ones? (I think these lighter wheels are a good idea I'm just curious.)
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Amem. You're looking at about a 32lb saving, in rotational mass, with these.

I said "about" BP.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77
    I said "about" BP.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Huh?? I didn't say anything...

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Amem. You're looking at about a 32lb saving, in rotational mass, with these.

I said "about" BP.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Huh?? I didn't say anything...

Sent from my iPhone 4S from Tapatalk
    That was preemptive, BP.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

...and I'm interested in these.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

17s for winter use would be interesting.
    - Marc

I think I would be interested depending on the pricing. Def need to replace the curbed wheels eventually.

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    That was preemptive, BP.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Hehe....

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast