Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Eliminate gas pedal slap when lifting?

I know this is a little thing, and I have accepted it since I purchased the car, but for some reason it pushed me over the top this evening. Maybe I am nuts, OCD, or whatever the term is that describes us folk. Driving home from work on this beautiful evening, I decide to run through the gears quicker than my normal pace. After a good run through 1st with the Bavarian symphony playing their wonderful music, a quick shift is rewarded with the cheap plastic slap of the gas pedal after a quick lift. Rinse and repeat for 2nd, and 3rd.

Has anyone tried to silence the sound the gas pedal makes when it quickly returns to and hits its idle stop? I'll dig into it tomorrow, but just wanted to see if anyone has any tips.

Cheers

Hmmm.....can't say I've ever heard mine do that. Not at home now to see if I can replicate the noise.

Can't say that I have heard that ever. Maybe I am not fast enough on lifting foot off the gas pedal between shifts. Reminds me of the Top Gear episode, 500 ms between shifts was too long.
    - or-

OCD a little
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

I don't lift my foot off of the gas, i just lift enough to select my target rpm. i would contend that you're using poor technique if you're picking your foot up that far and that fast, but Im no instructor.

I find it pretty crazy that you can hear that over a redlined motor.

Hm, when quickly shifting, I have always come off the gas completely to get the RPMs to start to drop as fast as possible, then lightly back on the gas as I select the next gear and engage the clutch at the correct RPM. It's not the end of the world, but it is one thing my dad and brother noticed when they were test driving my dad's '04 X3, so I figured it was across all BMWs from that time frame. Maybe it is something in the water down here that makes us coonasses a little crazy?

If I pull up on mine there is at most maybe 1/16" play that makes a slight clicking sound but I'd be surprised if I could hear that while driving. I will try to remember to listen for it when I have it out tomorrow afternoon.

nike001 Guest
    I know what OP is talking about and it drives me INSANE as well. I'm sure everyone else has experienced it, but never noticed.

It's taking your foot from depressing the accelerator to some point, and lifting your foot quickly off the pedal. The pedal is coming back to its resting point. It happens every time I shift gears.

If the slap is annoying, don't come off the gas so fast.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If the slap is annoying, don't come off the gas so fast.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Yea...I think it's one of those things you just gotta live with

Sent using mental telepathy

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

paid particular attention on the way home, don't even come close to lifting fast enough to generate the sound you guys are talking about. to generate the sound i pretty much started driving like garbage because it was so unfamiliar.

i vote you guys try finer pedal modulation - you don't have to come off completely or so quickly to still be "off" the throttle completely.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast