Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I think my thermostat failed, help with conformation?

Hello family,

Well tonight I had an hour drive home which was 45 min of highway driving and I realized that my car never reached full temperature.

This obviously sounds to me like a failed thermostat, but even though I was keeping a fairly constant speed the temp gauge kept fluctuating, some time it almost reached running temp but then never stayed there.

So I am wondering what are the chances that it is the coolant temp sensor over the thermostat and is there any way to tell which it is before I start replacing parts?

Also conditions tonight were normal: about 65 degrees, and I even drove with the heat on for a bit to see if it would cause the temp gauge to go up but it never did.

Any insight from the experts?

Thanks,

DM

Sounds like your thermostat is stuck open. Mine did the same thing right before I replaced my cooling system.

Having the heat on would help cool off the coolant more, it wouldn't increase the temp.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Gotcha, sadly I wont have time to replace it until next week. Is there any harm in driving it around town till then?

Just be careful with a thermostat that's stuck open. You also will get pretty poor gas mileage.

Maybe that explains my some what mediocre fuel mileage.

But at the same time my car reached normal temp today just fine in my way to class and its only a 2 mile drive or less.

Maybe I will just do the thermostat and temp sensor then do the rest of the cooling system over the summer.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete
    Besian Sealed VANOS l Flat black Kidney Grills l Magnaflow Cat-Back

nike001 Guest
    Thank your lucky stars that your thermostat didn't stick closed..

Yeah that would have been shitty considering I have had the car for less that two months.

If the car reached normal temps today, the thermostat might be getting sticky and staying stuck open sometimes and functioning for real at others. Keep a close eye on that temperature gauge, because if it gets stuck closed you will quickly overheat. Also keep in mind that the temp gauge in these cars is pretty numb. When the needle is straight up, it's saying that the engine is in the correct range - not an exact temperature. So when the engine truly overheats, that needle is going to move but it'll be slightly behind the actual engine temperature - IIRC.

Yeah, I do know they are "dummy gauges" and I ordered the new thermostat a few hours ago so hopefully it will be here Friday.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete
    Besian Sealed VANOS l Flat black Kidney Grills l Magnaflow Cat-Back

Yup, there is a solution on our site for overheating warnings due to the "dummy" temp gauge. Drawing a blank on the name, but someone will post it. If not, I will.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast