Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Yeah, it was almost a therapeutic DIY for me. I enjoy the under the hood stuff myself.

Control arms, on the other hand made me want to strangle someone...
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    Haha, I feel the same way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha how about it. I did my drivers side cv boots a few weeks back, by the 12 hour (seriously) I was ready to call a tow truck and cry..but I eventually limped across the finish line.

2002 330XI Saloon
    2005 ZHP
    2013 XC90 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    It's not that bad a job. Kind of like the vanos-- nothing difficult, just a little time consuming.

As the DIY says, just keep track of the filter housing bolts as they are different sizes.
    Exactly.

It was easy just time consuming. That's the video I used to do mine. You might want to replace the CCV beings it's right there, wish I would of done mine when I had it all apart.
    BAV Stage 1 - BlueBus - UltraGauge - V1 - Orion V4's - ARC-8's - Brembo 996
    TTFS Engine/SMG Tune/CSL 255 - SGT Headers/Sect 1/SCZA - Evolve Eventuri
    VIS XTS CF Hood - CF Lip/Console/Diffuser - OE CSL Trunk - BWS 500S 9k/11k

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
    Exactly.
    You might want to replace the CCV beings it's right there, wish I would of done mine when I had it all apart.
    That's one I'm not looking forward to.

Really think I might pay somebody to do that one.

Droid X. Tapatalk. Use it.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I agree.

Well here are some pics of my oil filter housing gasket replacement. I started it on Friday evening and finished it Saturday morning. My neighbors dropped by while I was doing it and after many many many beers, I opted to just stop and chill as I was in no state to wrench on anything let alone my car hehe.. So this morning I gulped some water and tylenol and went to work.

It wasn't that hard, but a few things became a PITA. Re-installing the alternator wasn't that bad, but lining up the bottom bolt was. Since this car has 121,000 miles on it my engine block was super dirty with grime and oil so I cleaned it up the best I could, but it's not spotless like I was hoping to get it. One of the hex bolts for the power steering pump was stripped and I couldn't get it off so I wasn't able to remove the OFH from the car like I wanted to to get it really clean. And I didn't feel like disconnecting any power steering lines...basically I just wanted to get it done.

I also noticed the gasket was recently replaced by the PO. It wasn't brittle at all and looked brand new. Problem was, it looked "off"..like it wasn't the right size. I'm thinking it was an aftermarket brand and didn't fit right and maybe that caused the leak, idk..

Gasket and washers for Vanos line. OEM but of course.

airbox out.

Found some leaves in the cooling duct of the alternator..nice.

Finally apart. I did this without draining my oil and since I let the oil drain out of the OFH itself well before I took it apart only a very small amount came out.

A shot of the bottom of my oil seperator. It wasn't leaking and I have no symptoms that it's bad, so I'm letting that dog sleep for now.

The gasket I took out of the car is on the right and the BMW one is on the left. The one on the right just doesn't look right. It looks poorly made or something like the mold is off when they made it, aftermarket for sure.

Sorry I got in a zone and stopped taking pics..so que the ending music

And jump to the end...Done and washed. Because anytime you work on your car, it must be freshly washed afterward right? That step can't be skipped!
    Last edited by johnnyrad; 03-18-2012 at 04:58 AM.

2002 330XI Saloon
    2005 ZHP
    2013 XC90 R-Design

Looks Good.

When I replaced mine I bought one from a vendor on here and it didn't fit right and seemed to cheap. I went to BMW and bought the OEM gasket and it seemed to be better quality. I also put a thin coat of high temp forma gasket on both the housing and the gasket and let dry over night. I was surprised how bad mine was leaking when I bought my car. Oil was all over the place, all the way back to the cat.

Nice job. My seal was fairly beat up like that when I did this job on my old 325 and that was the original.

BMW just puts shit seals everywhere in the E46.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

Thanks guys. The other issue I forgot to mention was that I had four service dash lights pop on when I was finished. The e brake light, ABS, service engine soon, and the center indicator lamp stayed lit. But thanfully, after letting the car idle for a minute, then turn it off, then start it again, then off again the only thing that stayed on was the service engine soon light. Then I drove to get gas, and when I got back in the car after filling up that light was gone. So now I have no warining light...whewww. Maybe the computer just had to reset itself. Idk but I was so annoyed. Seemed like as soon as you pop the hood a warning light trips!

2002 330XI Saloon
    2005 ZHP
    2013 XC90 R-Design

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast