Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

BMW OEM Auxiliary Input DIY doityourself

Since a few members have asked questions about this, I figured I'd throw this up here.

I did this a little over a year ago on my '03 325i with the Business CD.

This is similar to both the directions provided with the kit as well as other DIYs out there with the exception of the fact that I mounted the input jack in the sunglass tray.

What you need:

BMW OEM Auxiliary Input Kit (around $35)
    Phillips head screwdriver
    Non-marring prying tool for trim removal
    Drill bit (1/4" according to other DIYs but eye up the size yourself as I did this a while ago and don't remember the size bit i used)
    Microfiber towels to cover area around shifter

1. Disconnect battery.

2. Use your pry tool to begin to work the trim piece over the glove box out. The trim is essentially friction mounted-- straight pegs on the back of the trim press into the red rubber mounting holes you see in the pic below. Work the trim piece out until you can get a grip on it and then pull it straight out.

3. Now do the same for the trim piece over the radio.

4. Remove the two Phillips head screws holding the radio in the dash (already removed in the trim pic above).

5. Slide the radio out and disconnect the electrical harness and antenna lead. Before sliding out radio, place mf towel around area of shifter so you have somewhere to rest the radio unit while you disconnect without scratching trim.

6. Insert the OEM input into the electrical harness. To do this, you will have to first pull up on the blue locking tab. Seat the OEM input into the harness and replace the blue locking clip.

Input seated in harness, blue clip removed.

Input seated in harness, blue clip positioned.

Input seated and locked.

7. Now for the sunglass tray mod-- Remove the sunglass tray by opening the flip door and pushing up on the tabs shown in the picture while working the tray out. IIRC, I used a small screwdriver to get the right leverage on these while I pulled.

8. Using your drill bit, drill a hole in the back of the sunglass tray where you would like the input jack to sit.

9. Feed the aux input wire down behind the climate control unit and into the space where the sunglass tray mounts. Mount the input jack to the hole you drilled in the sunglass tray.

10. Manage your excess cable and make sure there is sufficient room to slide in both the radio and the sunglass tray.

11. Reinstall the sunglass tray-- just push it back in its home until it locks into place.

12. Reconnect the electrical harness and antenna lead to the radio. Replace the radio and secure with the Phillips head screws.

13. Replace trim pieces in the order they were removed. Just press them straight into the mounting holes.

14. Reconnect battery.

15. Turn on radio and cycle your MODE button until you see the AUX option displayed.

16. Connect the MP3 of your choice and get some tunes rolling.

17. Use the settings button to get to the AUX LEVEL display and adjust the aux master volume to a setting that works for you (I think it goes from 1-5). This setting is a master setting for the AUX input. Volume is still controlled from the volume knob and steering wheel controls.

Last edited by kayger12; 01-02-2011 at 06:55 AM.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Thanks, this will help a great deal

Nice work
    -JJ
    2005 Zhp Sedan (Sold), back in the 2004 Allroad 2.7t

Well done my friend. I gotta do something like this....
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks, gents.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Does all the business CD players (ie my 2004) have the AUX input capability? I have seen info that suggests that only the later ones that played mP3's had it. Mine definitely does not play mP3's...

Edit: Wait, I'm an idiot... you said that was an '03 so I should be cool.
    Last edited by pyreguy; 01-06-2011 at 06:03 PM. Reason: sheer stupidity
    Lance
    Autobahn South
    S/ASH
    My car finds your lack of faith disturbing

You're good. Cycle through 'Mode' on your radio. If you see Aux input come up, you got it (right?).

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa330i View Post
    You're good. Cycle through 'Mode' on your radio. If you see Aux input come up, you got it (right?).
    Iirc, the AUX doesn't show up as a mode option until you install the auxiliary input into the harness in the back of the unit.

There was a thread somewhere out there that specified which units had the available slot for the OEM input. Pretty sure all of the Business CD units are compatible.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

Funny, mine says aux when I cycle through modes. I'm going to be pissed if I take that all apart and find the aux cable already installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Tampa330i View Post
    Funny, mine says aux when I cycle through modes. I'm going to be pissed if I take that all apart and find the aux cable already installed.
    I would definitely hunt around for it- mine only cycled from radio to cd until I had the AUX input installed.

Can anyone confirm?
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast