Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. Square setup on staggered style 135 wheels

I've seen a few posts recently here and on other forums regarding square setups. Here's a photo of my ride with 235/40/18 Conti DW tires on the staggered stock ZHP wheels. When I was in process of deciding there was lack of photo evidence regarding how square tires will look on the stock wheels. I really like the look and honestly it's not that easy to pinpoint the amount of difference in stretch front to back.

The car feels more alive now since the yaw angles have been equalized between axis. Also, for street only driven high performance cars, these tires are outstanding.

Last edited by ZHPRegistry.net; 03-24-2012 at 03:23 PM.
    ZHP Registry - stats and free classifieds.

Lookin' good. I've been wondering the same thing you have. Cheaper than buying staggered?

3. 520 for the set before shipping. Typically, 235/40 will be cheaper than 255/40 for any brand.

Quote Originally Posted by ZHPRegistry.net View Post
    520 for the set before shipping. Typically, 235/40 will be cheaper than 255/40 for any brand.
    +1. I endorse the 235 square as a fiscally responsible dd setup.

HTC Thunderbolt+TT
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I have a weird thing about having the fatter tires on the back for the look. If I were tracking the car, it'd be all square. The desire to have wider rears is counter to $ logic as well as tire rotation.
    - Marc

The rim in the front is 8inch +47 and the rear is 8.5 +50. Rotating the rims would require spacers in the rear to accommodate the front rims in the rear wheel well without looking too sunken in. Besides that, its a good logical idea to have square setup. It helps decrease understeer too!

I wonder whether bmw's only rationale for staggered setup was understeer and looks. I guess we will never know.
    - Marc

8. Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    I wonder whether bmw's only rationale for staggered setup was understeer and looks. I guess we will never know.
    Not looks, safety.

It looks good! Having run a 235/40 in the rear I can say it is noticeably more sunken than with the 255 in the rear on the same wheel. I also did/do occasionally miss the 255 rear on hard take-offs with the 235/40 rear but- at the same time- it is more economical, and if you don't drive your car hard, it may be the most practical way to go.
    - Derek

10. For me it's the opposite, the car is far more willing to turn with this setup than with the 225/255... which makes actually better for spirited driving. If you are strictly speaking launching then yes 255 is better.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast