Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

Question Strut Tower Brace with Camber Plates

Back story: My '04 E46 ZHP has 72,000 miles and original suspension. I recently got into autox and love it! I am looking to replace my OEM suspension this summer with something a bit stiffer for autox. I will most likely add camber plates when I overhaul my suspension. I have heard the stories of strut towers mushrooming under stiffer suspension setups. I am looking to get both the E46 strut tower reinforcement plates and a strut tower bar to avoid this issue.

My question: What is the best performing strut tower for a decent price that will allow for camber plate access? Cosmetic looks are not important to me. I am currently looking at the OEM E46 M3 bar, and ECS tuning actually has a kit for $369 that includes the reinforcement plates.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Strut_Brace/ES2500896/

Is this a good deal? I've searched a bit for a used M3 bar, but have not seen anything recently.

Or am I better off saving my money and getting a aftermarket brand strut bar and ordering the reinforcement plates (cost $30) separate?

Example: http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/Strut_Brace/ES5435/ ($99 strut bar)

Any information is appreciated!

I'm also thinking of getting a strut bar. Saw a used M3 strut brace for $200 recently on e46fanatics, but I decided to buy tstiffer springs instead and somebody else bought it. If you plan to adjust camber or twiddle a top-adjustable strut at an AutoX event, you should get a strut bar that does not cover the strut tower holes.

My towers got mushroomed with stock suspension so I put in the reinforcement plates. Still would like a STB someday...

M3 strut bar is probably the cheapest option. Camber plate access really is just loosening the strut tower bolts and moving the strut from below when the car is lifted off the front wheels.

I also ordered the reinforcement plates too. Make sure whatever top hats you have that there is enough thread to thread the bolt after the strut bar/plates.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post

I also ordered the reinforcement plates too. Make sure whatever top hats you have that there is enough thread to thread the bolt after the strut bar/plates.
    I believe I read somewhere that the Meyle top strut bearings have shorter studs than the OE BMW hats. Something to keep in mind.

Anyone have experience with WhiteLine products?

I am looking at the WhiteLine strut bar as well, listed here:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-330...ace/ES2207832/

and here:

http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_..._number=KSB557

i recently bought the rogue CF strut bar. aside from the good looks, i went with the rogue brace because of the technology/performance it offers for the price. with a little research and comparing a handful of strut bars it seemed the best bang for the buck.

http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogu...RE_CF_STB.html
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

That is true, but I like to be able to see the top of the camber plate to know where I'm setting the camber! It's not so important in the morning when I'm just trying to get as much camber and caster as the plates will allow, as it is in the evening when I'm trying to set them evenly at about -2.0 before going home.

If I didn't care about this, I'd probably buy the Rogue Engineering or ECS Tuning carbon fibre STB.

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    Camber plate access really is just loosening the strut tower bolts and moving the strut from below when the car is lifted off the front wheels.

spencers Guest
    OEM M3 works fine