Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ignition coils & spark plugs

I doubt my plugs have ever been replaced, so I've been checking out some of the videos on removal and install, it doesn't look bad. Has anyone replaced the coils with performance ones? If so, notice any difference? Any recommendations on spark plug brand?
    When I go to install, is it necessary to have a torque wrench for the plugs and coil bolts? I've never seen anyone torque a spark plug before. Then again, I've never seen a lot of things this car has. Just today I watched the sprint booster install video, who knew that the gas pedal isn't even a pedal anymore! My automotive understanding is about 10-15 years ago, and poor for even that time period.

I have never torqued a plug....everything is by feel for me.

I did torque front wheel bearing nuts though.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I torque everything to spec, provided I can get the wrench on it- plugs, wheel lugs, oil filter housing cap...

Mostly unnecessary, but it makes me feel better. Figure I dumped the money on a torque wrench, might as well use it.

For plugs I use NGK.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post
    I torque everything to spec, provided I can get the wrench on it- plugs, wheel lugs, oil filter housing cap...

Mostly unnecessary, but it makes me feel better. Figure I dumped the money on a torque wrench, might as well use it.

For plugs I use NGK.
    Torquing is NEVER unnecessary. ALWAYS torque EVERYTHING properly. Especially spark plugs, Dane. You don't want to strip the threads in the head now, do you?
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by kayger12 View Post

For plugs I use NGK.
    #1 I use a little high temp anti seize on the threads as well.
    Not sure what your mileage is, Tampa but its such an easy job I say do it!
    -ADAM

Quote Originally Posted by Alphatek45 View Post
    #1 I use a little high temp anti seize on the threads as well.
    Not sure what your mileage is, Tampa but its such an easy job I say do it!
    +1 on the anti-seize.

It really is an easy job. Plenty of peeps on here to help you out.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

A light coat of anti-seize - I recommend trying to keep it outside of the cylinder.

Oh - I like to make sure the block is cold when I do plugs - so I risk damaging the threads on the engine.

DW and I have a calibrated arm... Hehe... (No..srsly...)

After looking (and using) at a lot of the torque specs on e30 repairs, I find that knowing them can be rather helpful - to either prevent overtorquing and damaging the fastener & threads or undertorquing and risking something else entirely (e.g. losing a wheel).

Wrench tight varies with length of your wrench (I associate this with force and lever action from physics lessons).

Getting a torque wrench in some of the spots under our car can be challenging or impossible without removal of a lot of interference parts.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Quote Originally Posted by billschusteriv View Post
    Getting a torque wrench in some of the spots under our car can be challenging or impossible without removal of a lot of interference parts.
    In some cases, depending on the part, it's worth removing that crap to get to it.
    In other cases, I think there are things like flexible extensions and whatnot. I don't know how that affects the torque specs though.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    In some cases, depending on the part, it's worth removing that crap to get to it.
    In other cases, I think there are things like flexible extensions and whatnot. I don't know how that affects the torque specs though.
    Agreed. If you can get the wrench on it, by all means.

I was thinking specifically of the fill plug on the side of the Getrag transmission. On the e30, it's a fastener with a recessed hex (17mm IIRC) and its nearly impossible to get a torque wrench on it unless you drop the trans.

Most torque wrenches are calibrated to read the amount of force you are applying at the head of the wrench. Any change (universals, crows feet) will have some effect on the force you are applying.

After thinking about it, there is a tool for every application. I currently use a deflecting beam torque wrench - if I would use a click type torque wrench (uses a calibrated clutch mechanism that "slips" when the torque setting is reached) - it probably would be the appropriate tool to use for reaching the fill plug on the side of my MT.

I think I may be taking this a bit OT. A good discussion to have.

I hope our sidebar helps Tampa.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast