Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Ohhh Solidworks, how I love you so much. I have to use Inventor here, but essentially the same thing

/derail

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

Yeah, I'm a huge fan of Solidworks. I used Pro-E in school and hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Paul View Post
    Dane, if you are really interested I could design you one for your specs. If you have space limitations or any ideas I could quickly and easily modify the model so that you could get exactly what you wanted/needed.
    I would also be interested in a 2 or 3 design
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by M3TA5IN View Post
    I would also be interested in a 2 or 3 design
    Sounds good. If there is truly some interest in these I will build one of each design and work out any potential issues that I might not have thought of. That way you guys aren't the guinea pigs.

I would love to be a guinea pig...hehe
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I vote this:

#3 looks really cool but #1 seems like the most practical

Update:

Today I ran an analysis called FEA (Finite Element Analysis) on the first rack that I posted to check and see if it was strong enough to hold 250 lb worth of wheels/tires. For you non-engineers, this is where you break up the different parts into hundreds or thousands of tiny 3D elements. These elements are all connected to one another at points called nodes. Then 10's of thousands of deflection equations are solved simultaneously to output a deformation at each of these nodes. From there you can figure out many other things, stress, strain, factor of safety, etc. to help decide if the parts are strong enough for the given loading. It is really a fantastic piece of software.

Anyway, I wanted to check the deflection on the rack, and I'm happy to say that deflection at it's greatest is barely over 1/8 of an inch. Given the span and the lightness of material, I am quite pleased. Below you'll see an extremely exaggerated deformation, it has been scaled up about 40 times, so that you can see where the greatest deflection is taking place.

I'll be doing this analysis on the other 2 racks to ensure they are robust enough to support the weight of the wheel/tire combinations.

I'm like #2. Functional and beautiful.
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

I like them all, and I'd buy one at the right price too. #2 is my fav, not sure how #3 stands up.
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

I have completed another FEA, this time on rack design #2. Again it looks like we are well within the weight of wheels/tires as deflection is very low at .0175" max. Things are looking good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast