Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

car still drifting left on general exclaim uhp after alignment

Hey guys, got the car aligned before winter started and noticed the car had a slight left pull and took it back. They re-ran everything and alignment checked out again.

I put on my winter tires and the car didn't really have a left pull anymore, which obviously means something's up with my summer tires.

I have hankook ventus v12's in the back and general exclaim uhp's in the front...

Should I take the generals off and put on hankooks on the front or is it possible to take the rubber off the left and right wheels and swap them to see if the issue goes away?

Broke as hell, so hoping the second option is viable

I've also noticed that as soon as my car finds any divot in the road it will immediately jump ship in a different direction... it won't just stay the course.

Well have you checked tire pressure?

Quote Originally Posted by gr330zhp View Post
    Well have you checked tire pressure?
    Yessir, I'm just so tired of driving with the steering wheel just slightly cocked to the right so the car will drive straight, it can't be good for the car.

Quote Originally Posted by carsontl View Post
    Yessir, I'm just so tired of driving with the steering wheel just slightly cocked to the right so the car will drive straight, it can't be good for the car.
    I totally understand, I just got an alignment yesterday myself. Well, ya know, where did you get the alignment? I have heard that some shops really might not do it to spec, especially with a ZHP. I mean, I know you don't want to get another one, but idk

Quote Originally Posted by gr330zhp View Post
    I totally understand, I just got an alignment yesterday myself. Well, ya know, where did you get the alignment? I have heard that some shops really might not do it to spec, especially with a ZHP. I mean, I know you don't want to get another one, but idk
    At NTB at first, but they refunded my money and said to take it to the local BMW shop. I took it there and had them do it twice and it still drifts.

note: i believe the alignment to be ok, simply because winter tires don't drift like the summer ones do. I am curious if it's doable to just take the rubber off the left and put it on the right and vice versa to see if it fixes the issue?

note #2: BMW tech says it's because they are "cheap directional tires" and follow the road... which I've never experienced before

Is the steering wheel straight with the winter tires on? If it were my car, i would try swapping the front General Exclaim UHPs left to right. It's not a good idea to run them like this in the long-run if they are directional, but driving 5 miles like this on dry roads should be okay to test. Just don't drive them backwards in the rain if they have directional tread.

Quote Originally Posted by LivesNearCostco View Post
    Is the steering wheel straight with the winter tires on? If it were my car, i would try swapping the front General Exclaim UHPs left to right. It's not a good idea to run them like this in the long-run if they are directional, but driving 5 miles like this on dry roads should be okay to test. Just don't drive them backwards in the rain if they have directional tread.
    I was thinking of just spending the $40 or w/e to have the rubber taken off the front wheels and swapped, i think that's doable right?

Quote Originally Posted by carsontl View Post
    I was thinking of just spending the $40 or w/e to have the rubber taken off the front wheels and swapped, i think that's doable right?
    Yes, its doable but costco's idea is free and will only take a half hour of your time. If you are broke as hell I'd go this route.

I'd start by first swapping both fronts left to right and if that doesn't work switch them back and switch the rears left to right. Only change one variable at a time. Obviously don't leave them like this or you car will be dangerous in the wet.

I would assume the dealer would have alerted you to any worn or bent parts. Does it matter what lane you're in? A lot of cars kind of follow the crown in the road. Also, visible wearing in the road surface of the lane can make the car pull...

Have you had the tires balanced recently? You could always have them rotate the tire 90 or 180 degrees on the rim and see if that helps...

I have a set of 2353519 in my Acura 3.2cl.
    When I bought it it had nitto 555. The car drive like a dream. I then bought general exclaim uhp because they would last longer. As soon as I got them I could tell the difference, they drive bad. They follow the road a lot. They are hard rubber and are noisy. But they last longer. It's my second set
    And I can say that I would not use them in the BMW. The Acura i don't really care , but I would recc swapping front tires from side to side. It's common to have a tire pull on directional tires even on more expensive tires

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast