Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

E46 Taillight Ground Recall, Aftermarket lights

I've got an appointment for tomorrow to go in to the dealer and get the recall work done on the car. I currently have Depo aftermarket LED tail lights. Would this be a cause for them to deny coverage? The car isn't under warranty anymore and because this affects many other cars with stock lights as well, would there be any basis for them to deny the fix for free?

For reference, my ground connector was blown out long before I replaced the taillights, though that won't matter as that can't be proven.

Does anyone know if I should go through the hassle of replacing all my lights for stock or if it should be performed free of charge regardless?

Thanks.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Just my opinion, that the ground wire is to blame, not the lights. I would imagine that they may not even realize that you have different lights and they may just replace the parts. But, I could be wrong.
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyGraphic View Post
    Just my opinion, that the ground wire is to blame, not the lights. I would imagine that they may not even realize that you have different lights and they may just replace the parts. But, I could be wrong.
    Thanks for the response.
    I know it's not the lights to blame, I just don't want to dealer to turn around and say something about the lights being aftermarket.
    It is painfully obvious that the lights are aftermarket since they are 1) LED, 2) Red/Clear/Red, which wasn't how the cars were sold here in the states, and 3) there is no back cover where the bulb carrier used to be; instead it's a mess of wires and resistor boxes uncovered.

My only thing is that if I have to replace the lights for the time being so I could bring it to the dealer with stock lights, then I'll have to plan ahead. I don't have much time left to do it, and it's going to take a while to dig out my stock lights, take out the new ones, put the old ones in, etc. Don't want to be caught having to do it in the dark if possible, which is why I was wondering what I should do ahead of time.
    BP
    2005 330i ZHP / 6MT
    Imolarot / Naturbraun
    2003 330iT / 6MT
    Orientblau / Naturbraun

It's not the car you drive, it's how you drive it.

Quote Originally Posted by az3579 View Post
    Thanks for the response.
    I know it's not the lights to blame, I just don't want to dealer to turn around and say something about the lights being aftermarket.
    It is painfully obvious that the lights are aftermarket since they are 1) LED, 2) Red/Clear/Red, which wasn't how the cars were sold here in the states, and 3) there is no back cover where the bulb carrier used to be; instead it's a mess of wires and resistor boxes uncovered.

My only thing is that if I have to replace the lights for the time being so I could bring it to the dealer with stock lights, then I'll have to plan ahead. I don't have much time left to do it, and it's going to take a while to dig out my stock lights, take out the new ones, put the old ones in, etc. Don't want to be caught having to do it in the dark if possible, which is why I was wondering what I should do ahead of time.
    I would just leave them on. What's the worst that could happen? They tell you to come back with stock tails in?

As long as you are polite and explain your situation, I'm sure they will be understanding. I wouldn't think this would "burn a bridge" for the lack of a better metaphor.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

I wouldn't worry about them being LED or that they weren't 'stock' when the car was sold. A lot of people mod their cars. And, I doubt the technicians are really BMW fanatics the way we are, so I doubt that they would even notice.

But, the mess of wires would be something to worry about. But, I agree, what's the worst that could happen. I know, it would suck to let them have the car for the day and then come back and have them refuse the repair. I would just let them know ahead of time and save yourself the grief.

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.