Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Vibration when braking at speed

Hey guys so I was driving last night *in mexico* and I went to brake from a high speed and the brakes shuttered. Like a quickly paced vibration. Doesn't happen at lower speeds (less than 80) but if I am going faster and brake, there is this vibration from the brakes.

Any ideas?
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

Have you checked your rotors for flatness? It's very possible that they are warped, especially at 130k+ miles.

Changing my rotors stopped my shuddering at high speed braking.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

No I haven't. I measured the fronts the other day and they came to 25mm give or take 0.1. Are they getting close to being shot?

Here's a clip of a video I took of the vibration. Sorry but it's on a iphone... I am on the brakes (very lightly btw, not even stomping on them) whenever the video gets blurry or distorted.

-Chris-

Quote Originally Posted by Hornung418 View Post
    Have you checked your rotors for flatness? It's very possible that they are warped, especially at 130k+ miles.

Changing my rotors stopped my shuddering at high speed braking.
    X2. The reason you feel it really bad at high speed is because of the speed of rotation. At slower speeds warped rotors are very hard to notice or not noticeable at all depending on how severe they are warped.
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

Well that's a bummer if they're warped. They're the BMW performance drilled rotors

This is relatively new though as I haven't felt it before... maybe it is time to get new brakes. Wonder if I can find any more BMW perf. ones, hmmmm.
    -Chris-

Quote Originally Posted by HokieZHP View Post
    Well that's a bummer if they're warped. They're the BMW performance drilled rotors

This is relatively new though as I haven't felt it before... maybe it is time to get new brakes. Wonder if I can find any more BMW perf. ones, hmmmm.
    Take your wheels off and place a straight edge ruler on the rotors, if you see any gaps, even little ones they are warped.

How old are the rotors?

It's possible that you need new pads. Or you Powerflex FCABs may have backed out. Check into AKG Motorsports if that's the issue. They're line of products is far superior than that of Powerflex.
    Porsche 944 Turbo Build

One ride and you'll understand why most rocket scientists are German.

My ZHP Build 2004-2014 RIP

I honestly have no idea how old the brakes are. Like I said I measured them at home at they came out to be 25mm +/- 0.1. I don't know what they were to begin with but that's what the fronts are down to now. They were on it when I bought it this past July. I know the rear pads are getting to the end of their life but the fronts are still pretty full.

I think I'm going to head over to my friend's garage here in town to get under my car and see what I can find.
    -Chris-

Quote Originally Posted by HokieZHP View Post
    I honestly have no idea how old the brakes are. Like I said I measured them at home at they came out to be 25mm +/- 0.1. I don't know what they were to begin with but that's what the fronts are down to now. They were on it when I bought it this past July. I know the rear pads are getting to the end of their life but the fronts are still pretty full.

I think I'm going to head over to my friend's garage here in town to get under my car and see what I can find.
    Oh if you have a buddy with a shop just ask to use his dial indicator. Place on rotor, spin, watch for a fluctuation to the left or right.

Quote Originally Posted by M3TA5IN View Post
    Oh if you have a buddy with a shop just ask to use his dial indicator. Place on rotor, spin, watch for a fluctuation to the left or right.
    $10 dial indicator is a pretty good purchase at Lowes.

Sent from SIGFest-2012, USA on HTC via TTv2
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast