Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

M54 Oil Leak-- Front of Motor

I've been chasing down an oil leak at the front of motor for a few weeks now.

First sign was real subtle-- you know, the whole front of the vanos was completely covered in semi-cooked on oil (sorry, no pic).

I also found some oil on the top of the lower coolant hose.

I cleaned the vanos and surrounding area up really well and drove for a couple of weeks. After some research, my leading candidates were a leaking vanos exhaust solenoid or a leaking exhaust camshaft position sensor.

Pulled the radiator fan today to snoop around. VCG looked good, but I could already see some oil building up underneath it.

Looked down a little lower and found this (picture taken looking up from underneath the exhaust cps):

So I'm thinking the o-ring on the exhaust cps is bad. I'm heading to the stealer in about 5 minutes to pick one up.

Will install tomorrow and report back.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Could be KG. Inspect the old one when you pull it out.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Could be KG. Inspect the old one when you pull it out.
    Anything else you can think of?

I picked up the o-ring for 2 bucks.

Sent with Droid Fighter envy
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Naaa...I think you're on the right track. It just tough....because if there a drip coming from the VCG....it can go down, collect, and coagulate somewhere, making you think the leak is somewhere.....it isn't.

I am in favor of the CPS o-ring....clean it up good, run it a while....and see what you got. Are you having noticeable "Oil Level" issues?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

There is a fastner that bently says is a one time use item and needs to be replaced after it is removed. It is the fastner (looks like a bolt) that holds the CPS in place. You can probably use it again but you might as well grab a new one if you can. Also torque to 7 ft-lbs.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Naaa...I think you're on the right track. It just tough....because if there a drip coming from the VCG....it can go down, collect, and coagulate somewhere, making you think the leak is somewhere.....it isn't.

I am in favor of the CPS o-ring....clean it up good, run it a while....and see what you got. Are you having noticeable "Oil Level" issues?
    No other oil level issues. VCG is only 13 months/12k miles old so figuring that it's good. The area immediately below the vcg looks dry, fwiw.

Quote Originally Posted by Newjack View Post
    There is a fastner that bently says is a one time use item and needs to be replaced after it is removed. It is the fastner (looks like a bolt) that holds the CPS in place. You can probably use it again but you might as well grab a new one if you can. Also torque to 7 ft-lbs.
    Appreciate the info. I read some posts where people said to go with blue Loctite on the fastner. Sounds reasonable.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

Nice easy switch out. Not real confident that was it, though. The o-ring that I took off seemed to be in ok shape.
    Shot of the CPS sensor removed:

All cleaned up and re-installed:

We'll see how she looks in a week.

Also-- part# for the o-ring if anyone needs it in the future:
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

Sure looks like that's where it's coming from. Is it possible it's the sender itself leaking? Although, it's not unusual for an o ring to be causing problems even though they look fine. Happens quite often at work. There is a hydraulic repair business that I go to when we need an o ring that we don't carry and he's never failed to have the right one on hand.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMaico View Post
    Sure looks like that's where it's coming from. Is it possible it's the sender itself leaking? Although, it's not unusual for an o ring to be causing problems even though they look fine. Happens quite often at work. There is a hydraulic repair business that I go to when we need an o ring that we don't carry and he's never failed to have the right one on hand.
    There was no oil inside of the connector, so I think the sensor was ok. Certainly possible, though.

I'll report back later this week.

Good to know about the o-ring. This is the vanos that got replaced under cpo, so I'm wondering if they just reused the o-ring or if it didn't seat properly.

Sent with Droid Fighter envy
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

nike001 Guest
    Was this the same thing that you recommended might be my problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast