Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

General Gmax AS03 Tires.

A few months ago I began my search for a new set of tires. I was rolling around on the old snow tires that came with the car when I bought it. I could have made it one last winter with them but one developed a slow leak forcing me to go tire shopping.

I searched for weeks trying to find the perfect all season tire to throw on my stock 325i wheels. I wanted something that could be used year round, had little road noise, exceptional grip and handled well in the snow... All at a non wallet busting price.

I went on searching and thought I finally found what I wanted with the Continental Conti DWS tires. From the reviews they handled great, and had all the features I had been searching for.

However just as I was about to bite the bullet and snag a full set I learned of some of the horror stories of previous owners. Most of which had to do with the tires being made of soft rubber and people experiencing blow outs or bubble from hitting pot holes and having to replace the tire.

So that sent be back to the search. Around that time I remembered reading an article in a magazine a few years ago about the new lines from General tires that had just come out. The magazine went out and tried the tires on a number of different cars tackling a number of different tests and pitted them against similar competitors. Needless to say they surprisingly out performed all the competitors in almost every category, and this was from a budget tire company (who is owned by a bigger tire company that shares tech with them).

I went on a search for General tires and discovered that the Gmax (the tires they tested) had great reviews from real world people just about everywhere I looked. Feeling confident, I called up the local tire shop and ordered a set.

A few days later they were installed and I was on my way. My first impression was "man are they quiet". At first they seemed a little bouncy but after a few days of driving they settled and gave me a very comfortable ride. After a short while of getting used to them I took some sharp turns at high speeds and felt total confidence that they would hold and could be pushed even harder if I so chose.

A month into owning them I took them on a road trip and put several hundred miles on them in one day. The whole time I was completely pleased with how quiet they were, how great the gas millage was and how comfortable the ride was.

It's been about 2 months now of owning them and I must say I am impressed at what this budget tire can do. I have yet to test it in the snow but from the reviews that I have read they all stated that in light to moderate snow people had no issues getting around.

So if you are in the market for a daily use tire that will give you comfort and safety and allow you to do some spirited driving in both wet and dry conditions year round when your feeling spunky, check out the General Gmax AS03 tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....el=G-Max+AS-03

I've got the same tires on my car as well. They came with the car when I bought it and have loved them. A fantastic tire all around (although no winter testing really) but was pleasantly surprised with their overall performance.

So are these available in the ZHP staggered sizes?

I am gonna take a look and read about these a bit..
    2 months is way too early to tell for any tire, but happy to hear they're making you happy so far.

I have Conti DWS for about 4k miles now - also too early to tell, but they're fantastic in rain and dry weather, too. Not as 'sharp' as a summer tire, but i knew that already.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    So are these available in the ZHP staggered sizes?
    They seem to be...

Thanks for the info SpoonerDee, came at the right time!

- Peter

Glad these are working out well. It was a toss up for me between these and the Kumho Ecsta 4X that I eventually went with.
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

I have about 3k on these exact tires. I'm pretty happy with their performance so far.

Sent via Tapatalk 2 on my hacked Fascinate.
    19" VMR VB3 CSL reps w/ General G-Max 3 A/S, BMW Performance short throw shifter, CDV delete, M54B30 swap, and a redneck CAI.

It has been about 2 1/2 months since my initial review and I have put a lot more miles on these tires and have to say I am still very pleased.

I took a trip to Cape Cod and back this past weekend and the drive back was in pouring rain. I hit a massive puddle while doing aprox 65 mph. The car got squirrely for a second then quickly grabbed the road and held me on track to ride out the rest of the puddle requiring very little if any corrections. The whole ride home in the rain I felt very confident in the tires ability to siphon the water from the road and keep traction at highway speeds.

So in the end, dry handling phenomenal, wet handling just as good (not sure I would track them in the wet but you get the idea) and come next winter I will visit this thread again with some snow handling reviews.

Thus far I would give these tires a strong 9 out of 10 rating, but will hold off on rating them till I have driven in the snow.

I just had these tires installed last week and now I am about halfway through a 1,000 mile trip from Central Florida to South Jersey and they are performing amazingly.

Will update as I drove more

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete
    Besian Sealed VANOS l Flat black Kidney Grills l Magnaflow Cat-Back

Quote Originally Posted by 328ioc View Post
    I just had these tires installed last week and now I am about halfway through a 1,000 mile trip from Central Florida to South Jersey and they are performing amazingly.

Will update as I drove more

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    This absolutely can't be true.

They're not Michelin PSS's.

Sent from Williamsburg, VA USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

#iseewhatyoudidthere
    Randeaux/Rando/John/jr - '06 Cic ZHP; Southern California
    "ZHP or not, I still like you"

ZHP Performance Package, Cold Weather Package, Leather, Jet Black/Black/BlackCube, NAV, Anthracite Black "my individual" interior trim
    ESS Stage 1 Twin Screw Supercharger, Sprint Booster, BMW Perf Intake, Magnaflow Exhaust, Dinan TB & STEP S/W, UCC Sway Bars, Apex EC-7 18x8.5 ET38
    Suspension: AST 44100 dampers, Bimmerworld front adjustable end links, Swift springs (8K front, 10K rear), Vorshlag camber plates
    Dynavin D99+, Hardwire V1 (w/V1 Connection), BSW Stage 1 Speakers, Kicker Amp/Subwoofer
    BMW Performance Strut Brace, Orion V2 Angel Eyes, No-holes License Plate, SMG Paddle Shift Mod, Besian VANOS, Gold DISA, Fan Delete, M3 Side Mirrors
    Note: Actual car no longer resembles signature picture

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast