Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Quiet Moments.....with Jim Conforti - Addressal of the 4k Power Dip

I am posting this for 3 reasons:

1. My dip is still prelevant at approximately 4k rpm.

2. I just got off the phone with Jim Conforti.

3. I wanted to share the info....with the Family.

He spoke with me for roughly an hour. It was an interesting discussion...that entailed training on DISA valve operations, adiabatic ignition, the 4k power dip, software tuning, Ferrari's, gasoline quality, NORAD and what his future holds.

With regard to the 4k power dip.....his impression is - As told by me (I need to remind you guys....that he only comes on the boards and says something....if he has run the numbers himself and has verified it to be true): I will never say it like he does, as he was feeding me knowledge from a fire hose. Basically there are two phenomina that contribute to the 4k Power dip:

1. Mechanical sticking / Operation of the DISA. This is normal operation.....as rpm's increase to a point (3750 rpm's) the DISA valve slams open. There is no slow progession through that "dipped" power range.

2. Knock sensor adaptations, regarding DISA. He has disabled the DISA in cars that he has supercharged. This did result in a bit of torque loss in that power range, but the car operated overall, smoother and more efficient with zero power dip. As far as he knows, tuning will not remove the dip. Tuning may reset the adaptaion values, so initially, the dip will not be there (or be less prevalent), but after fuel management system adapts to new limits, the dip will be back. I think this is the case for me. He additionally said altering the knock sensor adaptations on a street driven car was suicide.

As an aside.....we had an interesting gasoline discussion. He said that 91 octane from Sinclair (or any other gas station for that matter) and 91 octane from Shell, with equal RM values, will not be the same gas. Mind blown.

So.....if you couple a tune (that alters the knocks sensors), with a tank of gas.....other than Shell....melting a hole in your piston, could occur. Interesting statement here. For this sole reason, when he was performing dyno's, he instructed customers to only fill up at a Shell, near the dyno shop (Then followed and interesting story about a kid not following these orders, which resulted in Jim chasing his tail for 5 hours on the dyno, and resulted in a full drain and purge of the cars fuel delivery system)

So....in a nutshell.....there is no, known fix.....in his opinion, for the dip. Remember...there's 2 issues here. One is mechanical. One is electrical.

As a favor to me (and the community), he will be asking his contacts at BMW, if they have addressed this issue with a fix yet.

When he replies to my email....I will post here, or he'll come on and update the thread with his thoughts and findings.

Jim...I apologize in advance for butchering what you told me on the phone. You were shifting gears pretty fast......between a myriad of topics, and I could not fully wrap my head around some of the concepts. At this point....I hope all is well with you, and I appreciate you taking my phone call.

~DW
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Jim ftw.

Thanks for the Cliff's Notes version, dw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info DW. I'm curious about those who have sent their DME to NJ to have the dip "fixed". I'm guessing it wasn't a permanent fix then, and simply made it less noticeable by changing the adaption values?

Also, any more specifics on the Chevron gas? Getting Chevron is better for your engine, (Safer) not necessarily better for power?
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

thanks for the info!

-I used to own a few gas stations awhile back and I agree Chevron gas is great (It's what we used to sell). However, Arco gas is simply crap. Seriously, don't be intrigued by their cheap prices..

What would happen if you removed the flap in the DISA on a non supercharged car? Less torque at lower rmps?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    What would happen if you removed the flap in the DISA on a non supercharged car? Less torque at lower rmps?
    Yup. And it won't remove the dip. It will just move the dip. Another thing he mentioned to me was that you can make the power curve perfectly smooth, but the dip would still be there. I didn't totally get this.

Sent from SIGFest 2012, via TTv1.5.4
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Yup. And it won't remove the dip. It will just move the dip. Another thing he mentioned to me was that you can make the power curve perfectly smooth, but the dip would still be there. I didn't totally get this.

Take that power dip, and stretch it across a much much wider rpm range to decrease what is felt (doesn't seem like the dip is there) but it is still there.
    2005 Jet Black 6MT ZHP "Family First"
    ~Rob~

Good stuff dw. My cars po had software fix from the nj headquarters, I don't notice a dip. Dane, I should let you drive mine to see what you think, what do you think about that?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Good stuff dw. My cars po had software fix from the nj headquarters, I don't notice a dip. Dane, I should let you drive mine to see what you think, what do you think about that?
    I think I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    I think I like it.

Pm me. Sunday at 14:00 sound good?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast