Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I've always though driving each others car would be a good idea.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

I got the reflash from BMW and it fixed the dip for a long time. I now notice it only once per drive then it goes away. I have my adaptations reset every trip to the dealer. No chevrons here so I use shell 93 whenever possible.
    - Marc

Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    I got the reflash from BMW and it fixed the dip for a long time. I now notice it only once per drive then it goes away. I have my adaptations reset every trip to the dealer. No chevrons here so I use shell 93 whenever possible.
    OK... Great. I honestly think the "gas discussion" we had was only applicable, regarding engine damage, if you had a tune that altered the knock sensors.

Sent from SIGFest 2012, via TTv1.5.4
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I have been thinking about this dip issue. Mine is most prevalent (2005 6MT ZHP) in 3rd gear under heavy load (accelerating uphill) at 3500 rpm.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnmadd View Post
    Pm me. Sunday at 14:00 sound good?
    Gotta work till 1700....maybe we can hook up next week.

Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Quote Originally Posted by zhpnsnv View Post
    I've noticed that some people who have had their DME sent to Jersey for the fix say it was cured and others say it was cured for a while then came back. Yours sounds like a mix of the two. It sounds like your knock sensors adjust for the sound of the Disa opening once and then they catch it before the dip happens for the rest of that drive cycle. That's assuming it's the knock sensors adjusting timing that causes the dip.

My Disa was replaced when I bought my car in August 09 so I'd assume it's the newer version. Mine is just a very slight hesitation at 4000 but I haven't noticed if it does it more than once a drive, I'll have to pay closer attention next time.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I have been thinking about this dip issue. Mine is most prevalent (2005 6MT ZHP) in 3rd gear under heavy load (accelerating uphill) at 3500 rpm.
    Have you ever had a DME update at a dealer or indy? Not talking about the 4000 dip update where they send it to Jersey, just the latest software update.

If yours was at 2800 rather than 3500 I'd say you need the software update for sure but maybe yours just reacts at a different rpm than mine and a lot of others do/did. Does it do it in higher gears too or just 3rd?

Barry

I bought brand new DISA in Aug/Sep 2010 just after buying car. I will have to see if it's the upgraded P/N.

Additionally, Jim put the Shark and BMW updated software on my ECU.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I bought the car used at 102,000 miles - I do not think the DME was ever "updated" by previous owner and I have not dealt with it yet. Sounds crazy but it always seem to be in 3rd gear when I get the stumble.

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Gotta work till 1700....maybe we can hook up next week.

Sounds good.

DW requested I copy the following post from another thread:

Originally Posted by Meric
    Yea I never felt the dip. Yet this is my second e46..
    Only affects those with manual transmission.

Originally Posted by danewilson77
    Many......myself included....are leaning toward the DISA vlave as being the issue with the dip.
    At least initially, BMW thought so too and they were replacing DISA as part of the solution.

But as of 2005, their solution is reprogramming. CLICK HERE to see the latest Service Information Bulletin on this topic.

What I wonder is if the updated DISA design alone (11617544805) would solve the problem without all the hassle of sending the DME off to the "Engineering Dept."

Worth noting for those who have not read about these issues ad nauseam: this symptom is not seen on all M54 motors and is totally separate from the 2800 RPM hesitation, which can be addressed at a dealer or indie shop with the right equipment (autologic). See latest software versions in autologic screen shot below. Applies to man-trans M54 motor with the ZHP cams. I do not know if these version numbers apply to all 3.0L M54 motors but hooking up to autologic or dealership service computer will tell you if yours needs updating.

FWIW, I can testify switching from BMW 5W-30 to OW-40 motor oil will noticeably reduce the 2800 RPM hesitation. Even more so with high-end oil. I was not expecting this at all but it was noticeable when I switched to Mobil 1 OW-40 and then more so with a switch to Lubro Moly OW-40. Others have reported similar findings.

This screen shot was taken April 10, 2012:

Last edited by aurelius; 02-12-2013 at 11:39 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast