Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best option for DD/Auto-X/Track pads

So, here's the breakdown:
    I drive my car every day, without exception year round...
    I autox my car at least once a month in the summer, and will be doing my first track day this weekend.
    I would like to get one pad setup that is workable for all the time use, but am open to swapping pads/rotors for autox/track.

My specifics: I will have 135i calipers up front and stock 330i calipers in the rear. I already decided to go with blank rotors front and rear, and have them ordered.

I was looking at the carbotech ax6 front and rear, xp8 front and rear, xp8 front ax6 rear... I'm open to all ideas, and am a complete noob to buying pads so any help is appreciated. Price is not really a concern, I'm expecting to pay around $500 for pads all around, I would just rather find the right combination of brake feel, and pad/rotor life.

I am worried about having improper brake biasing(from only upgrading the front calipers) and being a little light on rear braking, so if there's a way to help that at the same time, that would be great!

Very interested in this thread. I need to get new rear pads and would like them to perform in the same function as you chad.
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Chad44 View Post
    I am worried about having improper brake biasing(from only upgrading the front calipers) and being a little light on rear braking, so if there's a way to help that at the same time, that would be great!
    If you are worried about bias being off I would use some high performance street up front and some true track pads in the rear to help even things out.

I've been looking for ideas for awhile now. Its impossible.

You're going to compromise somewhere, if its noise, how they heat up, initial bite, dust.

Good luck

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Project STX: TCKline Racing l APEX l Vorshlag l Eibach l Hawk l Schroth l BMW Performance

spencers Guest
    Ain't happenin, unless you're willing to deal with compromises (mentioned above)...

Get a dedicated set of track pads.

Though for street/auto-x use, stock brake pad is fine.
    Last edited by spencers; 04-25-2012 at 02:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chad44 View Post
    ....... but am open to swapping pads/rotors for autox/track.

I'm open to all ideas, and am a complete noob to buying pads so any help is appreciated. Price is not really a concern..??
    He's open to all ideas. What do you track rats recommend for track pads, and recommend for street use?

Sent from SIGFest 2012
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

spencers Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    He's open to all ideas. What do you track rats recommend for track pads, and recommend for street use?
    Like I said, use stock pads for street/autox.
    Buy a dedicated set of track pads for track. I don't track so I don't have any recommendations.

Porterfield R4S. Came recommended by two instructors at my last track day and I've been very happy with them since, the R4S ~ "Race for Street" which seemed appropriate for my situation and likely yours based on your OP. Make sure you bed properly to keep them quiet as mine were squeaky until I did, now silent

APEX ARC-8's | UUC EVO3 SSK | UUC TSE3-L | Dinan Intake | H&R sways | Meyle HD CA & FCABs | EBC Slotted Rotors
    Porterfield R4S Pads | CDV Delete | Stebel Compact Truck Horn | DICE Silverline | Misc cosmetic stuff

Thanks for the input, I do have a good set of stock 135 pads that I can use for daily driving, and I can get a good DD pad... if that's the way I go, planning to get a set of pads to handle the autox and the track, what pads would you suggest? Assume that the autox/track set will have their own set of rotors, so rebedding will not be an issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast