Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
    The BMW dealer quoted me $985 to do the OFHG!

I didn't have to drain my power steering fluid, just set the unit aside.

When I did my OFHG I noticed the old one wasn't cracked, broken or brittle but really flat as stated. I cleaned everything up real good. Then I used some High Temp forma gasket and ran a small bead all around the housing where the gasket goes, inserted the gasket then wiped off any excess. Let it dry over night then reinstalled the housing. It did make a difference on how much the gasket seals against the engine block. I can't believe that OEM gasket is so thin. I did this in September of 2011, so far all good.

Sent from my 1982 Commodore 64.
    Uhhhhh, and for the one who put nothing on the gasket and simply dry mounted it? Do I get some "award of ninkumpupness"?
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFN8TR View Post
    The BMW dealer quoted me $985 to do the OFHG!

I didn't have to drain my power steering fluid, just set the unit aside.

When I did my OFHG I noticed the old one wasn't cracked, broken or brittle but really flat as stated. I cleaned everything up real good. Then I used some High Temp forma gasket and ran a small bead all around the housing where the gasket goes, inserted the gasket then wiped off any excess. Let it dry over night then reinstalled the housing. It did make a difference on how much the gasket seals against the engine block. I can't believe that OEM gasket is so thin. I did this in September of 2011, so far all good.

Sent from my 1982 Commodore 64.
    Good info Wolfy

Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Nothing.

Thanks. I was encouraged by that video and new I would have support through the mafia.

I did sweat some bullets with the 8 mm hex on the hydraulic pulley. The PO (or shop ?) had mingled the opening and my 8 mm hex didn't fit! I started pounding the hex in and realized (almost too late) that I was not properly aligned with the groves in the nut. Sooooooo, I stopped turned the hex and pounded into it right. Tell you, this was the very good feeling.

I did sweat more bullets as I was driving away and for the next 45 minutes (some at highway speeds). Did I tightened everything right? So far so good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oli77 View Post
    Uhhhhh, and for the one who put nothing on the gasket and simply dry mounted it? Do I get some "award of ninkumpupness"?
    Naaa...you should have used a light coat of oil, minimum.....but most likely it will be fine.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

Thanks for the info Dane. I hope my greasy fingers were enough to deposit some oil along the edge of the gasket. I pushed it in and followed the contour nicely (almost religiously) with my finger.

Lesson learned boss. Won't happen again, promise
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234