Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

so now it's the speedo...

well my temp gauge issue seems to have subsided and given way to a new one: the speedo isn't working.

here's my situation: i noticed as soon as driving today the speedo wasn't working. stopped and started twice, no dice. then tried the cluster test 5 consecutive times and it successfully moved the speedo all the way to 160. then i drove again, yet still not working. then stopped and started driving again. speedo then worked intermittently for approx 30 secs, then stopped. since then, started and driven twice and no dice.

so now my plan is to take the cluster out, then remove and reinsert the needle and re-calibrate it. hopefully that will do something. i say this because recently i changed the gauge faces so i'm thinking maybe when i put the needle back in the first time i goofed it.

also, i recently had both passenger side wheels removed to be refinished and straightened. this was done approx 2 months ago, but this speedo issue just started today.

i've done a brief googling and found people have had issues with the speed sensors in the back wheels, however this usually brings up ABS/DSC lights, which i don't have. additionally, the tach, fuel level and temp level gauges also are functioning.

any other ideas?
    Last edited by webster; 04-26-2012 at 11:41 AM.
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

Do BMWs not have a speedo gear?

What I am use to is a speedo gear, then Sensor coming right off that is normally the failure point.

I am not a BMW expert though and this comes from knowledge on other vehicles.
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

ok well, i disconnected the battery, took out the cluster, fiddled with the speedo needle, reversed it all, and then went for a drive and it's working again. my only question now is for how long. we'll see...
    --Wes--

04 330i ZHP Oxford Green/Natural Brown
    04 330Ci ZHP Silvergrey/Alcantara (RIP)

I was going to recommend Battery reboot. Is the battery pretty fresh?
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim