Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation (Bought; No Longer looking): used DSLR for a beginner...pref. Nikon D40x...

Or a higher Nikon model...

I have finally gathered enough courage to get a DSLR but as i am a novice, BUT I don't want to spend that much $$ on a brand new one...Just can't justify it, as i am an enthusiastic amateur...so these days i only have a really old non DSLR with some advanced functions (but 3.2 MP) and a point and shoot Nikon L22 ... wife mostly uses it. - tiny pocket camera...

So if any of you guys are upgrading from your old low-end Nikon DSLR or have one that you don't use much, let me know, I won't be able to spend a LOT on it, and to be honest IDK what I should spend, either...

Thanks. Just post here or PM me with details.
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

oh come on... someone should have one here, eh?
    2005 AW ZHP Coupe. CW, Alcantara, Leather st. wheel, HK, Xenons, Step, Dinan chip & air box, USASpec, Sprint Booster

i have a D60, but it's not for sale lol. check Craigslist thats were i picked mine up. And i don't regret it.

Casey might know where to find one, too. I'll shoot him a note and see if he'll visit this thread.

Hey thanks Marcus - that would be appreciated.

Would something like this be a good price?

Nikon D40x Kit with AF-S DX 18-55mm and 55-200mm
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

My biggest recommendation is to make sure you have held several cameras before making your purchase decision. Canon and Nikon both have their own advantages and disadvantages but ultimately I chose Nikon over Canon simply because I have big hands and Nikon felt better and sturdier when I gripped it, and the controls on the back made more sense to me when I didn't know what I was doing.

My suggestions.

Go to a camera store...Hold several cameras, fidget with them, look at menu's, push buttons. One will feel better than the other and make more sense to you.

After determining a brand, set a budget, look around on adorama.com, craigslist, and POTN which is a canon based website with a huge for sale section and Nikonians.com which also has a large for sale section.

D40/40x are great starter cameras and what I started with, but there is a hidden cost to these camera if you intend to upgrade lenses in the future. I would say on the Nikon side look for a D80/D90 which are middle tier and will give you more flexibility later on if you catch the photography bug. 50d seems to be a popular choice for beginners on the Canon side.

Cameras are like cars, you can get a Civic or you can get a Porsche. There is a price difference and a performance difference, but the ultimate most important factor in output is the driver.

Anyone else feel free to add input. This is just my humble opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Washburn View Post
    oh come on... someone should have one here, eh?
    Sorry... no Nikon here.

Hankook Ventus V4's 205/55/16 | 16" BMW OE Style 45's | ECSTuning 15mm Spacers | Thule 45050 Crossroad Rack | Thule 870XT Fairing | LLumar 35%/20% Tint
    Custom Vienna Austria Euro Plate | GoMiniGo "No-Holes" License Plate Bracket | Smoked License Plate Cover | Black License Plate Frame | Khoalty LED License Plate Lights

For the record, i have a nikon d60 that is 10.2 megapixel and absolutely love it. The image it produces can be blown up to poster size and still retain its clarity. Bang forthe buck, it was well worth it. Think u can still get one almost new for 500 or so....which is aout what they were new 3 years ago (gp figure). Edit for clarity: the d40x and the d60 are basically the same camera. I think the x was the higher megapixel offering on the d40, then they just made a new model number for it.... My bro in law has the d40x and i have the d60 hence the indepth knowledge from a rookie "photographer"....
    David
    Last edited by Mtnman; 01-08-2011 at 06:11 AM.
    "No, Donny, these men are nihilists, there's nothing to be afraid of"

09 135i Msport 6mt
    04 330i ZHP (sold)
    David

So those Nikons seem to hold their value pretty well, eh?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast