Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HVAC issue

Ah! Understood.

Regardless, I'd get a set of gauges and build your own understanding of what's going on.

Systems can just get a little low over time from porosity in hoses and very very very slow leaks at connections, but for the age of most of our cars this isn't really a factor yet.

Like telijah said - if it is low, you have a leak.

I had the same symptom on my 2002 xi two weeks ago. Searched DIY's, spent $30 at Autozone for the R134 without the stop leak and got the gauge, followed the DIY and now she is cold and all is well...maybe I have a leak somwhere who knows, but so far so good. Money well spent.

2002 330XI Saloon
    2005 ZHP
    2013 XC90 R-Design

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrad View Post
    I had the same symptom on my 2002 xi two weeks ago. Searched DIY's, spent $30 at Autozone for the R134 without the stop leak and got the gauge, followed the DIY and now she is cold and all is well...maybe I have a leak somwhere who knows, but so far so good. Money well spent.
    Just did the same but I saw stuff at Walmart with the stop leak in it. I bet there is a leak but I needed cold air right meow so I will monitor it with the gauge I got and see what happens over the next month.

Thanks for all the info familia.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete
    Besian Sealed VANOS l Flat black Kidney Grills l Magnaflow Cat-Back

DO NOT use that stop leak stuff.

Use it once and most shops won't touch your car - the stuff is bad news.

Quote Originally Posted by zj96sc View Post

+ 1

Sent from SIGFest 2012
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

To late. Thankfuly I hardly put any in. Ill make sure to throw it out asap.

curious though. why is it so bad?

Magically sent from my Crackberry tablet using tapatalk
    2005 IR ZHP Alcantara 6MT l Bimmian phone mount l Khoalty Angel Eye's l Khoalty Fog's l AFE Stage 1 Intake l AFE Dynamic Air Scoop's l CDV Delete

The stop leak stuff coats the inside of the system with goop in an attempt to plug the leak - contaminates shop's evacuation equipment which is why they won't touch your system once you use it. Just makes a mess of the internals and cannot be removed without swapping every single component and line...i.e. nightmare.

Just get regular old R-134a...autozone, advance, napa, walmart, etc should all have it.

I'd also recommend the manifold gauge set for high and low readings + fill - assume you have a single gauge measuring high side only.

The stop leak stuff coats the inside of the system with goop in an attempt to plug the leak - contaminates shop's evacuation equipment which is why they won't touch your system once you use it. Just makes a mess of the internals and cannot be removed without swapping every single component and line...i.e. nightmare.

Just get regular old R-134a...autozone, advance, napa, walmart, etc should all have it.

I'd also recommend the manifold gauge set for high and low readings + fill - assume you have a single gauge measuring high side only.
    Thanks for the info. I think its topped off for now. But I will make a note of never using it again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

+1 on not using the leak stop. That stuff is really bad for the system. Last summer my compressor went on the e36 and the Indy quoted me between 1,200 to 1,500 to do dye test, refrigerant evac, compressor replace and recharge. While I don't think he was that far out of bounds I decided to do it myself. I had to buy vacuum, gauges, new evaporator, compressor, Pag oil and refrigerant. I also needed an accurate electronic scale to weight the amount of refrigerant to put in the system. I think I spent around 500. I was a really enlighteneing experience. Learned a lot about the whole system.

Indeed, I think I have a leak in my ZHP system at the compressor as I have noticed a very small amount of what appears to be Pag oil right below type compressor. I will probably have it dye tested.

Yep no stop leak! Stop leak very bad. I actually bought the Autozone brand fridgy. It was the only brand without the stop leak. All the other cans had it and claimed your hvac would feel like an iceberg but I wasn't buyin it.

2002 330XI Saloon
    2005 ZHP
    2013 XC90 R-Design

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast