Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

So You Want a Black Badge... (A Simple PlastiDip DIY) doityourself

Proof that PlastiDip is not scary at all. You'll notice that I paint right on the car. All is well in the end though. No paint was harmed in the making of this DIY.

Prep: Locate some Dip. If you want your badge to be shiny, you'll need to also add a couple coats of PlastiDip Glossifier to Step 6. Oh, and you'll need some sweet blue tape. The kind that won't mess up your freshly-waxed paint.

Step One: Locate your target.

Step B: Tape your target.

Thirdly: Spray a super-light base coat.

Next: Spray a heavier (but still pretty light) 2nd coat. Make sure you're coming in at an angle on each pass to hit the edges of your badge.

Five: Spray another coat like the last. Mine that you see here is a bit too heavy.

Step Six: Carefully peel off the excess. It's actually pretty fun, if you're one of the people who love peeling that sticky plastic stuff off new electronics. Sorry for the poor video. Apparently it's hard to hold your phone while doing this.

Last: Admire your handiwork. Doesn't it feel good? Go get a beverage... you deserve it!

Please allow about 15-20 mins between coats, depending on the temperature in your neck of the woods. (make sure it's north of 50*) I waited about 30 mins after my last coat prior to peeling off the excess. Also, three coats would be the minimum. Up to five should be fine, and you'll get a better finish if you layer them lightly.

Dude that's awesome! Thanks for the write up, I've been wanting to get a black badge.
    MODS: Badassery | Pure Awesomeness | My Blog

No problem; glad it was helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

one recommendation is to tape around it even more. I did the same on my MINI and noticed I got a crap load of overspray on the paint. Not the kind you can peel off (like whats shown in your pics) but a mist type of overspray that you cant even see. It left the paint feeling rough and I had to claybar it to get it all off. No harm to the paint though.
    2006 MINI Cooper S SOLD
    http://www.zhpmafia.com/forums/showt...-MINI-Cooper-S
    2006 ZHP 330CiC

I'm amazed you were able to peel it off so clean. When I shadowlined my E30, i trimmed all my taped edges, everything... with a razor for what seemed like hours and I was still ripping up the good product on the trim in several places and having to respray. Was ultimately a pretty damn frustrating undertaking. Yours just fell right off. I was cringing waiting for one of the numbers to come up.

Soon as I saw "black badge" I knew it was plasti dip :

Yeah, I did have a tiny bit of overspray in one spot. I rubbed it off very easily with a microfiber. More tape would have helped though!

And yeah, no trimming necessary- peels off perfectly!

Sweet write up!

Well thanks!