Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question Any low dust pads for ummm, aggressive drivers?

I've used Akenobos, and AXXIS pads in the past... While both of them had considerably less brake dust, the lack of stopping power was terrible compared to OEM pads and I wouldn't use them again on my own car.

I think I'm sick of cleaning my wheels. But not enough so to change my driving habits...

I guess I don't really care if they wear out quicker (relatively cheap, easy to install yourself), but there must be something that's a compromise between performance and a lack of black filth of OEM pads...

sna77, cool carbons are your best bet. I loved these pads for the street. They just didn't fair well at the tracks and I ultimately went back to OEM for street and Track only pads for the track.

http://www.coolcarbonperformance.com/

I think bavauto has them for $204 for the whole set.

Googling around, a few other options... Looking for member feedback onany experiences with them...

Cool Carbon
    http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/...0%282001-06%29

via Bav Auto:
    Cool Carbon street/track brake pads. Designed for high performance driving, these pads use a compound that was developed at German R&D facilities and tested extensively on the Autobahn. The specially formulated material includes both brass and a special "hollow" ceramic structure that exhibits excellent heat dissipation characteristics. As a result, these pads offer exceptional braking at both low and high temperatures. You get excellent initial bite, consistent torque and very good fade resistance. In addition, the pads are long-life, low-dust, rotor friendly and quiet. This makes them suitable for both daily street use and weekend track events. Made in Germany. Note: We highly recommend you replace the brake sensor wire with the pads to ensure proper operation of your brake pad thickness warning light system.

EBC Redstuff
    http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E46-325...Pads/ES517766/

EBC Redstuff brake pads are designed for high performance models that are driven aggressively on the street. Featuring a low dusting compound, that offers stopping power even when your brake discs are cold. This material is a Kevlar fiber based brake compound enhanced with ceramic particles. If you have previously tried EBC Redstuff (pre-ceramic compound) this material is light years ahead. It lasts longer, it brakes better and is quieter.

Being a hard wearing pad, bed-in times can be as long as 1000 miles and drivers must be patient until the pad takes up the shape of their disc (brake rotor). This is a truly impressive fast road pad for repeated heavy braking.

Hawk HPS
    http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-10...4-z4-30si.aspx

A high-performance street pad with much-improved braking performance and significantly reduced brake dust. The HPS pads are perfect for drivers who don’t want an ordinary replacement pad and want something that will hold up for aggressive street and light autocross/track driving. With the HPS pads you can expect:
    Increased stopping power even when the pads are cold
    Longer pad life
    Low dust compared with other performance pads
    Quiet operation

Quote Originally Posted by derbo View Post
    sna77, cool carbons are your best bet. I loved these pads for the street. They just didn't fair well at the tracks and I ultimately went back to OEM for street and Track only pads for the track.

http://www.coolcarbonperformance.com/

I think bavauto has them for $204 for the whole set.
    Interesting, I may give them a try. My brakes are less than a year old (new OEM pads + rotors). I may just buy a pair of fronts and pad slap them to see how they are--the backs don't really get that dusty.

thanks

I have used Hawk HPS and they are DUST monsters. I have no experience with Redstuff however. Cool carbons don't have the same initial bite as OEM but they do dust alot less and is adequate for the street. I personally didn't mind them till my braking requirements went higher.

No not really. Some pads like what I'm using now (Performance Friction) don't dust much at all until they get heated up (really hard driving) then they dust a ton. There is no magic bullet, no cure, no golden ticket. Pick your compromise between price, dusting, bite, noise, and fade.

I for one am happy with the Performance Friction Zs. As much stopping power as stock, and if I drive stupid I get rewarded with a mountain of brake dust (no more than stock), otherwise they stay fairly clean.

Stock pads and Stoptechs dust like crazy and Akebonos can't stop worth a damn.
    - Derek

I have used Hawk HPS and they are DUST monsters. I have no experience with Redstuff however. Cool carbons don't have the same initial bite as OEM but they do dust alot less and is adequate for the street. I personally didn't mind them till my braking requirements went higher.
    X2 on what Derbo has said here. Hawk HPS are a messy pad, and the Cool Carbons eh...maybe.

I have heard a lot of positive feedback about Performance Friction Z pads that I just put them on the ZHP last week. They seem really good thus far, but I have not gotten many miles on them. Nonetheless, they came highly recommended to me, which is why I decided to fork over the extra pork for them.

I have used Hawk HPS and they are DUST monsters.
    I have those in right now and I dont think they dust much. They did take a little while to completely bed in but they feel pretty good now

I also have the performance friction z's and am very happy with their performance. They do dust a lot though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -Chris-

2003 ZHP Sedan - Jet Black on Sand - SOLD

Try Stoptech Street Performance. I've repeatedly hammered them from 60mph to 10mph and after a dozen times I don't get brake fade. The brakes grab fine when cold and they aren't as mushy as Akebono's feel. It's just a nice linear feeling of brakes minus that extreme initial bite of OEM pads.
    --Trevor--
    Vancouver, BC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast