Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1st week of ownership - fixing up minor niggles

I've had my ZHP a week now and I'm shaking out all the little crap that I want to fix. My A-pillar fabric covering is shot at the windshield side, something I knew in advance. I've got a pair of new pillar covers on order. My sidemarkers are both full of moisture and neither works. New set of OEM's on the way. Last night I noticed my rearview mirror is FUBAR, the infamous fluid gone or otherwise leaving a horizontal line in the mirror and it doesn't work. I sourced a replacement mirror on Ebay that also adds Homelink, that's on the way too. I can get the existing one fixed for $99 at radar-mirror.com and resell it, or sell it as-is on Ebay and get some of the money back on the new one. I had already ordered the Homelink module that goes in the roof panel, I'll now sell it as well. My existing mirror has BMW Assist and the replacement does as well, so everything should be 100% functional as original.

Next nagging issue is the volume-on/off button on my non-nav head unit is toast. Turns all sloppy and won't turn on/off. Not sure if I'll send it in for repair, or just source a used one off Ebay. If there's some magic bullet for fixing this easily, I'd love to hear about it.

Cocomats arrived Friday, and major paint correction/detail scheduled for the coming weekend. New pics to follow.

All in all, loving the ZHP experience, she's a perfect complement to my M Coupe.

'21 M2 Competition
    '08 Z4 M Coupé
    '19 Golf R

My radio knob has the same problem. To turn it off, I just switch the radio to AUX and turn the volume down.

My dad had the same issue with the volume knob on his E46 and knows exactly how to fix it. I'll try to have him post here, or otherwise I'll figure out how he fixed it and write it up here!
    - Derek

Great to get all those little things fixed up. Hope you're enjoying the car!

Say, how much are you asking for that home link module?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn Ryan, you beat me to it.

If you dont pick it up let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by ryankokesh View Post
    Great to get all those little things fixed up. Hope you're enjoying the car!

Say, how much are you asking for that home link module?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    gah Ryan lol oh you....

I was gonna ask too hahahah
    2001 325i Sport Package / Rebuilt Motor at 194K / Lemforder M3 Motor Mounts / Thule Roof Rack / Eagle Eye Clear Tail Lights / Lemforder Sway Links
    BMW Performance Shift Knob / Alcantra Shift Boot / BBS Wheels / 15% Tint
    RIP - 2009 335i xDrive / Twin Turbo / Cold Weather Package / Premium Package / 15% Tint
    ER Chargepipe / Tial BOV / Dual Cone Intake / OEM Roof Rack

+1 on Fixing the Power/Volume knob on the radio.

Mine still works, but I have to press down really hard to turn it on/off, and using it to control the volume gives almost no feedback, just feels like I'm spinning it arbitrarily although it does control the volume still.

inside the radio unit, the knob is held on by one silly tiny screw on a L bracket that is made of plastic. When this L bracket bends, the angle of the knob changes and its hard to turn the volume up and down. Also when the L bracket ultimately breaks off, you can't turn off the radio very well since that's the point where it resists your push to turn off the radio.

I don't know any solution to fixing it besides taking apart the radio to get that L bracket reinforced but maybe someone else here has done it.

Yes, the knob fix is a very simple DIY.

Take radio out and open it up. I reenforced the area with a small piece of balsa wood and some hot glue. Been working great for over 2 years now.
    325i, 2005, 5MT, Silvergrey, leatherette, Sport package; CDV delete, KONI STR-T & KYB Excel-G, Weisslichts, Stewart H2O pump

328i, 2010, 6MT, Spacegrey, dakota leather, M-sport packages; has a 330 intake but no tune - yet
    http://s900.photobucket.com/user/othibau/media/Junesig.jpg.html][IMG]http://i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac208/othibau/Junesig.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast