Materials to Maintain Your ZHP IIIII Hand Protection IIIII Tools to Maintain Your ZHP

View Poll Results: Which seems the most logical way to fix the vanos?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Beisan System

13 65.00%
  • Dr. Vanos

6 30.00%
  • S54 swap... duh

1 5.00%
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    probably not
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Quote Originally Posted by UdubBadger View Post
    ^ same (i need both seals and rattle) which is why I'm thinking Dr. Vanos. Time is also not something I have an abundance of these days. How hard is it to swap out the entire unit with Dr. Vanos?
    I did my anti rattle without an impact wrench. I just used a socket wrench and mimicked impact wrench force by doing quick fast pulls over and over. It's kind of hard to explain lol. But I managed to do it without it

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

It could be done that way. I would imagine a sharp rap on the handle of the wrench would work....not that I'm into hitting my tools.
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

The cheap $40 impact wrenches from Harbor Freight are enough to do the rattle kit. I personally used Beisan's kit on my ZHP (Dr. VANOS was a lot more expensive back then, and Rajaie let me be a tester for the rattle kit). I see no reason not to go with the Beisan systems kit. IMO the hardest part of the whole repair is getting to the VANOS... which you have to do no matter what. Changing the seals and the bearing is trivial at that point.

^ I disagree with both the trivial statement and the no reason to go with Dr. Vanos statement.

Opinions clearly vary on this, though, hence the two different available options and customers who are happy with both.

Reasons to go with Dr. Vanos, imo:

Faster to do the job

Less work

Less tools

Less risk of damage

More convenient
    _________

At this point in my life, I'd rather just save the time screwing around with pulling the pistons apart, checking axial play, and removing and replacing seals and o-rings- and instead just pull one unit off and slap the other one on.

I've used Beisan before. I'll be doing the Beisan thing again on the ZHP in a few weeks. But I wish I went Dr. Vanos this time around.

I wish this was sent with a Galaxy S3
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

While I personally did the Beisan seals myself (did not do the rattle as I don't have the rattle), I voted for the Dr. Vanos route. Only for the fact that the OP has limited time, tools and resources available to do the complete job himself. With the proper tools, time and/or help, I would have voted for the Beisan system.

You DO need the deep socket to remove the Vanos unit if I remember correctly. You also need a torque wrench capable of in/lbs as well as a few other miscellaneous tools beyond the normal shade-tree mechanic (at least for me). Nothing mind-numbingly expensive, but it adds up to either a lot of trips to the store or a well-equipped buddy. Once that part has been taken care of, then the rest is relatively easy. Just takes time and (for me) patience and organization. I also took extra time to clean everything I could get at to make sure I could see if there were any new leaks etc as a result of my wrenching.

With either case you choose, make sure you post back here with your results!

Johnny
    2004 Imola Red over Black Leather. 6-MT, Navigation, Cold Weather Pkg (the wife loves them seat warmers!), 3.46 Diff, UUC Short-Shift Kit, Tranny Mounts, CDV Delete and iPod mount.

I have similar skill sets as the OP and I would have probably done it Dr. Vanos style.

I had zero skills and did it.

I think the bottom line is time, and sense of adventure. If you need to just get it done, and aren't really all that concerned about becoming intimately familiar with the car, then Dr. VANOS is the way to go) as others have said)

For me.... I had the time (an entire day), a backup ride (should it last longer-no stress to get it done asap), and the genuine need/want to learn.

With that said.... You will actually learn quite a bit about your car doing Dr. VANOS.

Dr. VANOS, I equate to... Changing out your alternator (component replacement)

Beisan, I equate to pulling that same alternator but rebuilding it and re-installing (component repair and re-install).

Sent from SIGFest USA
    Call Me Dane l 2/2004 330i ZHP l 18x8 ET45 BBS CK's wrapped with Michelin Pilot Sport AS3+ @ 245-40-18 l KW V1 Coilovers in front l KW V1 springs w/ Bilstein B8 dampeners in rear l BMW Performance Rotors l UUC StrutBarbarian l Racing Dynamics Rear Strut Bar l Jim Conforti Shark Injector l Light Birch Interior Trim l Bimmian Celly Mount l M3 Trunk Mat l l e90 Performance E-Brake & Shift Knob l M3 Tri-Stitched Boots l AL Headlight Retrofit with ZKW Lenses l CobyWheel Wrap w/M3 Stitching l LCM sw 4.5 triple blink and rear fogs l Maple Interior Trim

I had zero skills and did it.

I think the bottom line is time, and sense of adventure. If you need to just get it done, and aren't really all that concerned about becoming intimately familiar with the car, then Dr. VANOS is the way to go) as others have said)

For me.... I had the time (an entire day), a backup ride (should it last longer-no stress to get it done asap), and the genuine need/want to learn.

With that said.... You will actually learn quite a bit about your car doing Dr. VANOS.

Dr. VANOS, I equate to... Changing out your alternator (component replacement)

Beisan, I equate to pulling that same alternator but rebuilding it and re-installing (component repair and re-install).

Sent from SIGFest USA
    +1
    -Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.
    ZHP Pre-Ride Briefing

2005 ZHP, Alcantara, Silver Cube, Nav, Sharked, BMW Perf Intake, BMW Perf CF Strut Brace, CF Valve/Fuel Rail Covers,
    Shadowline Grills, CF Splitters, Fog Light Inserts, Euro-mirrors, CDV Delete, Beisan vanos, GAS DISA, BP Coded

Autozone.com
    If you need to just get it done, and aren't really all that concerned about becoming intimately familiar with the car, then Dr. VANOS is the way to go) as others have said)

This is my 1st line of concern, I have none of this other than the slight curiosity of whats going on down there... I just know missing time, a backup plan (car), tools and knowledge/mechanical skills will cause something to go wrong and am not equipped for that.

Dr. Vanos it is.
    Call me Seth
    CURRENT: 2016 Long Beach Blue BMW /// M2
    RETIRED: ‘15 F22 M235i | '08 E90 M3 DCT "GoinHAM3" | '04 E46 M3 6MT "WEGOHAM"
    '04 330i ZHP | '11 E82 135i | '08 E90 328xi | 07 E91 328xi SportWagon

If I wore panties, I'd be dropping them right now.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast